Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,557   Posts: 1,646,481   Online: 683

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Images

Your favorite Walker Evans image?

Back in the medieval days, when I had disposable income and was collecting photographs, I never bought a Walker Evans print because I couldn't decide which one I liked enough. Then he died and prices went through the roof. Now that I can no longer afford any, I know exactly which one I'd buy. How about you? What is your "most collectible" WE image?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
    What is your "most collectible" WE image?
    Evans is one of my favorites, but if I could own 1 image, it would have to be the Saratoga street scene done out his hotel window in the rain.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Used to be that the Library of Congress would sell you a genuine fiber based print made from a Walker Evans negative he made for the FSA. Since his most famous work was done for the FSA, you really have a pretty huge selection. The price is almost a give away. Another way to stick one to the gallery system.

I am particularly fond of the Hale County Alabama photographs.
    New Project - Winter Window - 2/21/2015

www.joelipkaphoto.com

300+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    they still sell the work, as well as many others.

I have about 1/2 dozen and it is hard to say which i love the most.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

One picture leads to another...

I like "Girl on Fulton Street" (1929) but have a liking for "42nd Street" (1929) - the woman in the fur coat standing before cars and stairs. Look carefully at the stairs - you'll see the famous "Royal Baking Powder Steps"....
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "Burroughs Family Cabin", Hale County, Alabama, 1936, is one favourite, but the ONE is, "Barber Shop", Atlanta 1936.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Damaged.

Images
    My choice(s) are 1)Citizen of Havana - a street picture of a very tall, lean, dapper guy in a white suit, and 2) Cemetery Scene (Bethlehem, Pa), with a large cross in the foreground, row houses in the mid ground, and steel mills in the distance.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

That cemetery more recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
    My choice(s) are ... and 2) Cemetery Scene (Bethlehem, Pa), with a large cross in the foreground, row houses in the mid ground, and steel mills in the distance.
    Shaun O'Boyle, a talented photographer (living in Western Massachusetts) has taken pictures in that cemetery in recent years:

http://www.oboylephoto.com/steel/steel2.htm#top

In the summer of 1966 I attended an NSF seminar at Lehigh University, and I remember riding up that street with the houses on one side the hillside cemetery on the other. I wasn't interested in photography at the time, and more than 30 years later I recognized the scene from the Evans photography....
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Bill. Saratoga Springs, 1931

http://www.masters-of-photography.co...toga_full.html
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin