Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,959   Posts: 1,523,041   Online: 1225

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nan Goldin's work...

I have a feeling that hells-a-comin' for this, but I can't see what it is about Nan Goldin's work that makes her so revered.

I admit I am drawn to her books whenever I hit a bookstore, but always put down her books very puzzled as to what the allure is.

Photographers I don't like right away often grow on me. This has happened to me with photogs like Sally Mann and Cindy Sherman to Eggleston and Sternfeld. My tastes are quite diverse - I can't think of any genre I don't enjoy.

What am I missing about Nan Goldin? Are there any fans on APUG?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    voyeurism

Images
    I don't know her name or her work, and there doesn't seem to be much imagery on the web (although there are lots of biographical articles). Could you give a reference to some galleries?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    She did the photo essay book "The Ballad of Sexual Dependency". The book is sort of an autobiographical look at dysfunctional relationships that she and her group of friends were engaged in.

I don't think there is anything remarkable about the images in the book. But the subject matter of sex, violence, abuse and gender roles make a perfect fit for the Aperture, NY/LA gallery in crowd. it is considered by many to be a landmark in photography, right up there with Robert Frank's The Americans.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't fancy her work either. I think that Jim Chinn's analysis is spot on.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
    I don't know her name or her work, and there doesn't seem to be much imagery on the web (although there are lots of biographical articles). Could you give a reference to some galleries?
    Googling IMAGES on Nan Goldin gives hundreds of her pictures (some repeated). Of course they are out of context, but none of them do anything for me. Maybe for someone who has lived that lifestyle?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nan Goldin is a Cibachrome version of Diane Arbus, if you want. I find some of her images powerful, mostly when they capture a precise moment or a precise expression, but I also find many of hers overly simplistic, just in-your-face displays of intimacy.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hkr
    .... but I can't see what it is about Nan Goldin's work that makes her so revered......

Ditto, my friend, ditto.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nan Goldin's work is to my eye pure crap. Maybe I will like it less as I see it more.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Count me in the majority on this issue. Nothing about her work interests me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin