Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,771   Posts: 1,516,527   Online: 791

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I won't comment on any photographers in particular, although I do think that saying why you dislike someone's work can be an educational discussion and have as much merit as saying why you like someone's work. However, I think for this type of critical discussion to have value it's important to explain why you don't like their work. Not just that you think it's lousy, but why is it lousy to you? Is it boring? Mundane? Poorly composed? The terms that you use to discuss why you dislike someone's work is a good way to determine just what it is that you value in a photograph and could be a good indicator of why and what you shoot.

Fame or notariety for a photographer changes the perception that others have of his/her work. My own criteria is that a photograph should be able to stand on it's own merits. If it needs a brand name photographer, shock value, or celebrity as the subject to give it any value, to me it is a meritless photo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser
    I won't comment on any photographers in particular, although I do think that saying why you dislike someone's work can be an educational discussion and have as much merit as saying why you like someone's work. However, I think for this type of critical discussion to have value it's important to explain why you don't like their work. Not just that you think it's lousy, but why is it lousy to you? Is it boring? Mundane? Poorly composed? The terms that you use to discuss why you dislike someone's work is a good way to determine just what it is that you value in a photograph and could be a good indicator of why and what you shoot.

Fame or notariety for a photographer changes the perception that others have of his/her work. My own criteria is that a photograph should be able to stand on it's own merits. If it needs a brand name photographer, shock value, or celebrity as the subject to give it any value, to me it is a meritless photo.
    That's a very good point you make. The very reason that I don't like Parr is that he tends to describe what we should see in his images. We see quite a bit of him on UK TV and he always goes into long explanations of his work.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree also. I tend to feel that Stieglitz's work could be interesting, but his talk about that work tends to cancel out any positive feelings that his work might elicit. Sometimes it's better to be able to take something away from a work on your own than be told what to take away.
    todd

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb
    I...and he truly did not know an f stop from a door stop...
    Priceless quote. Thanks for that wonderful image.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ansel Adams. Technical perfection, but no soul whatsoever, IMHO.
    <let the flames begin>

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This thread, yes could get out of hand, but if a person really doesn't like someone elses work that is their opinion. I'm no great shakes as a photographer, but I keep plugging away. I've had many many (out the wazoo) art history and appreciation classes. When all is said and done, it comes down to the personal question of do I like what I see? For me it is totally a personal judgement as to what I like and dislike. Everyone here has stated exactly that. What they like and dislike. If we keep it civil and explain our reasonings when it seems we are not clear, it should not have a problem in terms of needing to be moved.

Personally I like William Henry Jackson for the tenacity and daring he had in his time. I dislike Stigleitz for his assesment of the man. It was like a man in an elite cliche denouncing one who was not part of their group. It clouds my judegment of his (Stigleitz) work.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Different photographers and photographs have different meanings for us. One of my favorite B&W images is hanging over my desk; it was given to me by John McCallum when I was in Auckland in October. I appreciate its technical excellence, but I appreciate the friendship behind it even more.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Graeme Hird - what a hack .... take his LF camera away and give him a digital ...
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by severian
    Thanks to the thread started by Roteague we have page after page of posts detailing the photographers that have inspired us. Lets go in the opposite direction. Of all the photographers that have been proclaimed "great", do you feel that there are any that have not really lived up to the billing. Who is overrated? I know, it's all subjective but whats your opinion? Photographers are like beer. There is no really bad beer, some are just better than others. My choice for the one that should not make the Hall of Fame.......Arbus

Jack
    There are bad beers out there! Also, there are some fake beers. They are just nasty. They kill everything that's tasteful in the same way that digital prints do.

If you're too drunk to tell, that's a problem.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    In my not so humble opinion, Ansel has been given credits that belong to Carleton Watkins, Carleton Watkins contribution to photography and his body of work has been smothered. at times intentionally.....Carleton Watkins is the man....Carleton Watkins....check him out....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin