Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,925   Online: 793

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Photographers are like beer

Thanks to the thread started by Roteague we have page after page of posts detailing the photographers that have inspired us. Lets go in the opposite direction. Of all the photographers that have been proclaimed "great", do you feel that there are any that have not really lived up to the billing. Who is overrated? I know, it's all subjective but whats your opinion? Photographers are like beer. There is no really bad beer, some are just better than others. My choice for the one that should not make the Hall of Fame.......Arbus

Jack

Images
    STEIGLITZ. Great promoter, great whiner, average photographer, miniscule output. Married and famously photographed Georgia O'Keefe. The fact that his other female nude pictures are so ordinary is a good indication that SHE, not he, is responsible for their quality.
    ATGET. Prolific, but technically inept. A blind person could make equally good pictures in Paris.
    DISFARMER. Disphotographer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by severian
    My choice for the one that should not make the Hall of Fame.......Arbus
    Hmmmmm....

My vote says this should be a "Soap Box" issue. Perhaps I'm a bit "gun-shy", but I think this might only lead to trouble. One mans trash is another man's food.

Just my opinion.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
    STEIGLITZ..ATGET... DISFARMER. Disphotographer.
    Yikes! I'm sure many will disagree with you on these Bill! I certainly do!

Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    One mans trash is another man's food.
    I would have to agree with you. I would have to answer this question with Edward Weston, an answer which would probably upset many people, but I might get a bit upset if someone answered with Jack Dykinga. In other words, It is easier to say who we like than who we don't - because many may identify with some famous photographer or his style, the answer to this question can seem like a personal put down.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find the work of Jerry Uelsmann to be technically perfect but it doesn't appear to say anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Arbus is overrated, too. She has a few phenomenal photographs... I'm partial to the "Jewish Giant with his Parents", but I've always felt that her work gets a lot more attention than it might have, had she not successfully comitted suicide. Although, my main criticism of her work, is that there is too much of Arbus in the photos. I think there can be so much more to art than self-expression.

Actually, I kind of feel that way about Sally Mann's "Immediate Family" too. Somehow, the presence of the camera, and the photographer are too obvious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    I find the work of Jerry Uelsmann to be technically perfect but it doesn't appear to say anything.
    See, this is what I am talking about. I know Mr. Uelsmann as a great guy. He is kind and gracious to students and pros. Both those with potential AND those that may want to look for a fall-back option. He has a huge following, including my wife who has sentimental connections to many of his images. The man would never say anything bad about anothers work.

In fact, I have either met, or know any number of people that might be discussed on this board as I am sure many of you have or do. All of them are just like us... they love their work and are eternally grateful that people enjoy it and give their support. I have never known any of them to speak badly of others work in a public forum such as this. It is to be certain that people are going to have different tastes. That is one of the beautiful things in life. How boring if everyone liked the same things? We are photographers, not critics.

I am afraid this thread is going to end up saying more about the person posting the opinion than the person whose work he/she is publically showing disrespect for.

Again, just my opinion, but this should be a Soap Box issue so it can be turned off if the member/subscriber desires.

Bill

Shooter
    35mm
    If you are so silly as to think there is no bad beer than you have never tried Urologist Lager. Stuff is like piss.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steven Shore - - - boring.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin