Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,753   Online: 860

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had not heard of "re-photography" until this thread!

Do all of the slides I've taken over the years of my wife's paintings and drawings count?
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Mark Klett's "rephotographic project" wasn't photography of other artworks, but revisiting the sites of well known and some not so well known photographs and rephotographing the site, ideally under similar lighting conditions. The new photographs showed how the places had changed over time.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser
    ... it certainly explains why so many poorly done, uncreative, and downright awful works receive such abundant praise and attention.
    One person's trash is another person's food.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    One thing I've always found sort of curious is why so many photographers have an interest in photographing the work of other artists. For example, there seems to be a great interest to photograph architectural subjects or sculptures. I figure the original artist probably had a vision of what the photographer might capture in the original conception of the work, i.e., how light would play on the surface or how the form might appear from different angles. This, to me, brings those types of photographs of objects into the realm of document rather than art. Aren't such photographs similar to what Prince and others have done by rephotographing the work of another artist?

Also, in regard to Mark Klett's work, I also participated in a workshop he led and agree totally with John on the point of History vs. Art. IIRC, Klett also has training as a geologist and I think scientific documentation was also partial motivation for the Rephotographic projects. Several of his scene pairings evidence subtle geologic change in the landscape over time.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess it just goes to show that we are entering a post-art era. The aesthetic value of something no longer is of importance. The real value of anything called art is what price it can command. I suppose that determination comes from the current crop of critics and curators who are the king makers in the art world. Somewhere along the line the emphasis changed from selecting good art to what will bring the most eyeballs into the gallery or create the most buzz. Just another symptom of our culture drowning in the cesspool of media attention and celebrity.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    welcome to academia

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well I am grateful that they did not mention that I was the buyer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    . . . I guess I am interested in opinions and responses to the image, the auction price and the comments by various gallery owners. Perhaps we can have nice dialogue about the current state and trends in "contemporary" photography.
    I'm sorry, Jim, but I'm not at all sure rationality applies here, and it would seem that more than one person in the deal would have failed a sobriety test.

Anyone want to rent some of my prints to re-photograph them (and split the profits, of course)?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There's one born every minute. Sotheby's and Christie's seem to know where all of them are. I suspect that there is a secret 'suckers registry' that's fed by data from all the world's hospitals' maternity wards. Every minute a new entry is recorded in the database of the parents' name, address, SSNs and net worth. This registry is used as a mailing list for photography auction catalogues.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Isn't there some sort of copyright issue here? Wouldn't the original photographer who made the image for the cigarette company have some rights in this? Does your right to a photograph expire after a period of time?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin