Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,312   Online: 1089

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What if the cowboy was John Wayne? Didn't most of the ad actors die from cancer? If it was a Marlboro ad then the money should have gone to cancer research.

How many new photographers will think "I could make one worth a million dollars?"

It's just an anomaly that's all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As my used car salesman says, there's an ass for every seat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    No more Marlboro Man. He died of cancer smoking Marlboros.

Michael

actaually, he was a gay actor - a non-smoker and he died of cancer due to 2nd hand smoke.

as for the photograph -
    i find it interesting to say the least. there is a lot of different photography out there. at least *someone* is selling their work for millions.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    actaually, he was a gay actor - a non-smoker and he died of cancer due to 2nd hand smoke.
    -john
    You may be right. Not sure.

More info on Marlboro Men:

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/marlboro.htm

http://www.adage.com/century/icon01.html

http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0309/lm17.html

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The old story is that real estate is sold on the golf course,
    and art is sold in bed

don't let this stuff get you twisted up,
    it doesn't mean anything
    and it doesn't matter.

happy new year, folks.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    This might best be understood as the auction itself being a piece of performance art, with the winning bidder being as much the artist as the "re-photographer." The current divergence of directions in the art world precludes the importance of individual pieces without the self-fulfilling pedigrees of absurd prices.

It does have some of what artsy- (as opposed to art-) collectors desire: cynicism, large scale, and a loaded imagery that means one can write on and on about it, although, really, one can write on and on about the lint in one's navel. But the non-archival nature of the color photograph defines it as unfit for long term display and as a long term investment. (What will be the value of the badly-faded original in fifty years' time?)

In the end, the work is a cynical comment even on the system it sold within; there is enough wealth concentrated in the decadent hands of a very few that they have nothing better to spend it on than the artwork-of-the-moment, all likely subsidized by a tax-break at the expense of the tax-paying Wal-mart workers who can barely afford their own generic alternatives to Marlboros...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount
    Isn't there some sort of copyright issue here? Wouldn't the original photographer who made the image for the cigarette company have some rights in this? Does your right to a photograph expire after a period of time?
    Yep, it IS a copyright issue... but only under certain conditions. I have no idea how to put a value on the Prince copy when he made it. ( probably a few bucks if any ! ) If it had been a commercial work, his posterior would have been nailed hard to a handy wall, and no mistake.

The real sucker, obviously, is the buyer. He could have made his own copy, couldn't he ?

So the point isn't the 'image' but the 'concept'. Like paying a million dollars for a pair of bluejeans that say "Richard Prince" instead of Levis.

Not that I'm being critical. Somebody is HAPPY to have spent a zillion bucks of a photocopy of a magazine ad. Who am I to question his innocent pleasure ?

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    I have often stated that today (IMHO) the only thing that determines if something is art is if someone will pay money for it. But just because someone pays money for something does not mean that it is not total CRAP.
    Art is just a word, used here in a context of trading ganbling and speculation.
    And in this context the only relevant question is if this object will have a growing worth or not. If so, some think it is worth the risk ,they invest .
    This kinda "Art" market is comparable to the stock market, where you can talk stocks up and down, it all depends on WHO is talking.

The word art is absolutely misleading, none of these guys cares what art is and if this object is art or not, important is only that some "players" have declared it to be art, and this way the blow up a bubble, if it bursts the last owner is the loser and all the money stays with the previous possessors.

This cigarette pic seems to be quite close to this point ! ;-)

bertram
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin