Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,807   Online: 958
      
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,595
    The club scene is not my cup of tea. I found that I developed a "Herd Mentality" when composing my shots.
    There are 2 groups locally. Both digitally driven. Can you imagine actually calling one session "The Digital Darkroom"? When I showed up for a meet & greet with my Nikon FE2 and monster hunk of Kiron glass one of the members had the audacity to say that it was too bad that I couldn,t afford a "REAL" camera, ie Nikon D70. Stone the bloody crows!
    I attend workshops. The annual pinhole day event is a great way to clean the senses. Currently saving my pennies in the hope (faint) of signing up for one of Freeman Patterson,s weekend workshops.
    But, if it makes you feel better as a photographer than go for it. As my grandmother used to say "To each his own. Said the old lady as she kissed the cow."

    Good Shooting All,
    Mike

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,599
    Images
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by dustym
    .... I cant help but think when Im framing my scene and about to release the shutter is this going to get me place in my group is this a winner. Am I right in thinking this. .....
    I think if you are choosing what and how to shoot based on how well some judges at a camera club are going to score your work, you are doing yourself a real disservice. Because if that's the case you're not shooting your own work, you're shooting their work. While it's possible that those judges have real experience and insight into what good work is, they could just as easily have no clue. In either case you are not expressing yourself but expressing what you think others appreciate.

    Simple solution is to shoot what you love to shoot, maybe it'll score well, maybe it won't, but at least you're being true to yourself, and most likely it'll also be your best work.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,641
    We have at least three clubs in the area. In the largest one, dominated by digital, it was announced that competitions would strictly adhere to PSA rules & use only PSA judges. To me, that means enforced mediocrity since those judges gain their status thru an insular culture of what is good. The other two clubs, LF & art/alt photography, are providing a worthwhile stimulus.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    248
    Images
    46
    Hmm. I wonder if Ansel and Edward won any competitions in their old f/64 club...

  5. #25
    Curt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,531
    Images
    15
    "I would never join a club that would have someone like me for a member"

    Woody Allen, American

  6. #26
    Dinesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    "I would never join a club that would have someone like me for a member"

    Woody Allen, American
    Actually, I think it was Groucho Marx.

  7. #27
    Dave Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Middle England
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    3,894
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh Wijesinha
    Actually, I think it was Groucho Marx.
    It was.
    Regards Dave.

    An English Eye


  8. #28
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,083
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh Wijesinha
    Actually, I think it was Groucho Marx.
    But Woody Allen liked to quote him!

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,955
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser
    I think if you are choosing what and how to shoot based on how well some judges at a camera club are going to score your work, you are doing yourself a real disservice. Because if that's the case you're not shooting your own work, you're shooting their work. While it's possible that those judges have real experience and insight into what good work is, they could just as easily have no clue. In either case you are not expressing yourself but expressing what you think others appreciate.

    Simple solution is to shoot what you love to shoot, maybe it'll score well, maybe it won't, but at least you're being true to yourself, and most likely it'll also be your best work.
    agree!

    The camera club I frequent has 'print competitions' once a month. There will be 75+ prints on the walls (sometimes many more) and the 'judge' comments on every one. Time means it will be brief, but if you can't glean a couple of useful comments or thoughts out of the night, then your not listening!

  10. #30
    David H. Bebbington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    East Kent, United Kingdom
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,364
    Images
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    Time means it will be brief, but if you can't glean a couple of useful comments or thoughts out of the night, then your not listening!
    Camera-club judges are often a rich source of technical information, tips on technique, etc. Their advice and attitudes are, however, almost certain to be referenced backwards to what has been done before, and they are likely to be most receptive to minor (non-threatening) variations on what has been done before. They are likely to have little or no understanding of a conceptual approach (where it is the idea that counts) and are guaranteed not to be able to help anyone in any way who aims to be the next big thing in the art world!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin