Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,484   Online: 940

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Club photography

I have been with my club six months now a very well established and well thought of and very well attended club.
    During the year we have monochrome print competitions and colour print ,slide and digital annual competition and so on.
    I really enjoy landscape ,urban as well as out of town and I cant help but think when Im framing my scene and about to release the shutter is this going to get me place in my group is this a winner. Am I right in thinking this. Is this a positive attitude in striving for the best result or is is simply the mindset of being a club photographer, Im aslo a little put out when other photographers place in the monochrome competition converted colour digital
    prints to monochrome saying the skill is in the channel mixer and choosing the the right printer paper, or is it me being a little self obsessed in the thought if you shoot monochrome do it on film and not a microchip print it in a wet room and go to the trouble I did to achieve the end result, because I cant help being left with the feeling its a bit of a cheat, sorry if it seems a bit of a rant needed to get it off my chest, does anybody feel the same, or Im just being a bit anal.
    The camera cannot lie, but it cannot help being selective.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do not belong to a club. I think photographing with a 'competitive' mindset could interfere with what I actually like doing.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I totally agree with what you say and Im out most weekends doing what I enjoy but the other face of club photography is the judges critiques on your work and others that you recieve of which I find very informative, the other aspect is inspiration something you may have not thought about capturing until you saw it on the light wall.
    Possibly this is why not all the forum members post a lot of their work on the forum in fear that it may affect thier reasons for taking a picture in the first place it could become to obsessive the competatve aspect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been a member of a club for nearly 30 years, and I believe that it has made a positive contribution to my photography. Yes, there is a tendency to get caught up in the feeding frenzy of competitions, and striving to please a juror rather than one's own vision, and these can result in one's work falling into a formulaic approach designed to satisfy the expectation of the club. But at the same time clubs provide a constant motivation to produce new work, and they provide a known and predictable venue for showing that work. So in the short term, the challenge with clubs is that of maintaining individualism in the face of so much peer pressure to conform to the group's concept of what photographs should look like.

The other very important consideration is that clubs provide a social outlet centered around photography. Face it - photography is rather solitary activity, and photographers tend to not be the kind of folks you would normally invite to a cocktail party - ordinary people don't get excited about discussing bokeh over a glass of merlot. Clubs provide an atmosphere of equally wierd people, and we all need social interaction.

But the problem with clubs is a bit more involved than the issue of balancing individual vision against the group-think-expectation of the club. One can have a different view and still have a place in a club over the short term, but as one's vision matures and grows, the deviation between the individual and the group will become greater. Eventually, something has to give. My feeling is that the healthy way to deal with this phenomenon is to have several group outlets - continue to be a member of "the club", and rely on it for socialization and to see what others are doing, but at the same time find other outlets for showing and discussing work that allow you to move away from the club mold.

The other concern, at least for me, is that my vision and interests remain focused on traditional processes (which is why I'm in APUG), but the club that I'm in has moved almost totally to the darkside. At this point, I'm probably the only person who regularly shows traditional silver prints made from large format negatives. I rather enjoy being the odd man in the crowd, but there are times when I do feel isolated.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just joined a local club a couple of weeks ago. I am quite looking forward to the regular interaction of members, the information and the meetings but most of all the feedback that comes from other members about my photography. I have been a hobby photographer for a couple of years now and really feel like I am working in a vacuum. I absolutely love photography and really strive to take good pictures. I read, I look at photography books in the library, bookstores, online galleries, local art gallery, always trying to see what people are photographing and calling "art". For me the club competitions allow me to focus my shooting and give me something to look for, not there is any shortage of that but it does allow my brain to work in a different way.

As far as my thought when I actually press the button? I don't know yet. I only entered my first competition last week and haven't had any feedback yet so perhaps I haven't had my first "high" yet. I will let you know how it goes after Monday night's meeting.
    Wesmore Digital
    www.wesmoredigital.ca

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto
    I've been a member of a club for nearly 30 years, and I believe that it has made a positive contribution to my photography. Yes, there is a tendency to get caught up in the feeding frenzy of competitions, and striving to please a juror rather than one's own vision, and these can result in one's work falling into a formulaic approach designed to satisfy the expectation of the club. But at the same time clubs provide a constant motivation to produce new work, and they provide a known and predictable venue for showing that work. So in the short term, the challenge with clubs is that of maintaining individualism in the face of so much peer pressure to conform to the group's concept of what photographs should look like.

The other very important consideration is that clubs provide a social outlet centered around photography. Face it - photography is rather solitary activity, and photographers tend to not be the kind of folks you would normally invite to a cocktail party - ordinary people don't get excited about discussing bokeh over a glass of merlot. Clubs provide an atmosphere of equally wierd people, and we all need social interaction.

But the problem with clubs is a bit more involved than the issue of balancing individual vision against the group-think-expectation of the club. One can have a different view and still have a place in a club over the short term, but as one's vision matures and grows, the deviation between the individual and the group will become greater. Eventually, something has to give. My feeling is that the healthy way to deal with this phenomenon is to have several group outlets - continue to be a member of "the club", and rely on it for socialization and to see what others are doing, but at the same time find other outlets for showing and discussing work that allow you to move away from the club mold.

The other concern, at least for me, is that my vision and interests remain focused on traditional processes (which is why I'm in APUG), but the club that I'm in has moved almost totally to the darkside. At this point, I'm probably the only person who regularly shows traditional silver prints made from large format negatives. I rather enjoy being the odd man in the crowd, but there are times when I do feel isolated.
    The club that I participate in is not one which is even concerned about judging or competitions; we don't have any officers. It's an informal atmosphere where people who like to do photography get together once a month to show their pictures based on a theme which is chosen the month before. If you don't have any pictures, you can show up anyway and get out of the house for the evening.

Monophoto, I am in the same boat as you. The others in the club shoot practically all digital and I shoot LF b/w, some LF IR and sometimes LF color. I kind of enjoy being the odd person in the crowd, but I have also felt isolated.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is a well oiled thread, and as I’ve said on other occasions, if you feel that you are gaining from the competitive club atmosphere, then keep breathing there. Maybe a time will come when you find the judging less than exciting, but until then get involved, enjoy the experience, and learn whatever you can. Don’t worry about the digi-crowd, they are an irrelevance to where you want to go, just enjoy their daubings, and the mental gymnastics that some of the judges will go through when trying to explain the photoshop filters that you did; or should have used to improve your print. As Diane and others will tell you, there are non-competitive groups around that you may like to get involved with, just as there are some dedicated to monochrome, or non-digital work.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    This is a well oiled thread, and as I’ve said on other occasions, if you feel that you are gaining from the competitive club atmosphere, then keep breathing there. Maybe a time will come when you find the judging less than exciting, but until then get involved, enjoy the experience, and learn whatever you can. Don’t worry about the digi-crowd, they are an irrelevance to where you want to go, just enjoy their daubings, and the mental gymnastics that some of the judges will go through when trying to explain the photoshop filters that you did; or should have used to improve your print. As Diane and others will tell you, there are non-competitive groups around that you may like to get involved with, just as there are some dedicated to monochrome, or non-digital work.
    I it would be wonderful if we had the equivalent of your club in the South East I would definatley Join

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which club are you in Dusty? There's a club near me, but from what I can gather it is invitation only. Not sure I'd want to join something that exclusive!

But then I'm not sure I'd join a club that would have me as a member! (I'm paraphrasing someone, can't remember who!)

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    But then I'm not sure I'd join a club that would have me as a member! (I'm paraphrasing someone, can't remember who!)
    Methinks that would be Groucho, yes?
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin