Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,121   Online: 849

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: kaykaykay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=rfshootist]
    Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray
    A quickie: Shore photographed the streets. Kay photographs the buildings.[/QUOTE

Another quickie :Uncommon PLACES was Shore's title.

bertram
    Sorry, I must have a very sluggish brain. Can you elaborate as well? It doesn't mean you have to ramble on like I do, but a few more words would be appreciated.
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As you may have noticed, I do not like this sort of photography at all.
    But that is my personal way of thinking!

<< Kay is aware of buildings and their mass and volume in a way that I identify as German. >>

What do you think of this guy and his "German architecture photography"?

http://www.wolfgangmothes.de/

For me, that is "German architecture photography" . And fine art photography!

But that again is personal ;-)
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    medform, I'm going to be away from the Internet until the middle of next week, so I'll muse until then and post a proper answer.

In short, a lot of Shore's classic Uncommon Places photographs are about things on the street and the spaces between the buildings. The cars really catch our eyes these days (W. Evans also once complained about how unwanted nostalgia had crept into his photos via the parked cars), but my feel from those photographs I remember is that Shore's work was concerned with patterns of activity and the way public spaces were used.

Kay's photos seem more interested with how the buildings define and enclose the same public spaces. As you said, his buildings have more mass and volume rather than being planar backdrops.

In both photographers' work it seems important to recognise how three-dimensional structures project onto a two-dimensional image, so I wouldn't want to take my analogy too far. But there is an element of 'the container for the thing contained' in Kays work that seperates it from Shore's presentation and does, in my view, tie it to the Becher School Documentary style. I don't think I'm just being fooled by the subdued colours.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mono
    As you may have noticed, I do not like this sort of photography at all.
    But that is my personal way of thinking!

<< Kay is aware of buildings and their mass and volume in a way that I identify as German. >>

What do you think of this guy and his "German architecture photography"?

There's a big difference in the photography bay W. Mothes and Kay.

Mothes is trying very hard to produce fine art photography with buildings as the main subject, whereas Kay manages to stay very objective regarding to his subjects.
    There's nothing wrong with both styles.

G

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    [QUOTE=medform-norm]
    Quote Originally Posted by rfshootist

Sorry, I must have a very sluggish brain. Can you elaborate as well? It doesn't mean you have to ramble on like I do, but a few more words would be appreciated.
    I general i don't want to contribute to any further comparison, there is a kind of relationship, that's all.

Struan's remark tho wasn't hitting the point IMO. It's about places in the sense of "Orte" in both cases. Streets are places too.

bertram
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mono

Well I think "architecture photography" wasn't the right category if there is at all one existing for these photos.All these categories mostly cause more trouble than guidance . And this is what happened here too.

bertram

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    (Oh boy, I didn't know switching browsers could give so much improvement to the way this forum structure behaves on a page, I don't really like Netscape, but this sites behaves more like I thought I should than in Explorer - I can actually *use* the quick reply mode! Now I see how Laz could reach 1000 in such short time - better browser)

Actually, there are similarities between Wolfgang's and Kay's work in my eyes, even though the work is fundamentally different. Wolfgang seems very keen on symmetrical structures (he could suffice with printing half his work, you could guess the second half easily, just mirror it), and also in Kay's work I can detect symmetrical tendencies, albeit in no such extreme measure.

As I said in my post, by identifying Kay's work as 'german' I do not by any means exclude other work as being 'typically german' too. Maybe to some people Wolfgang's work could be said to be 'german' as well. To me, it seems he is very incluenced by a more global style in art photography, the kind you see a lot on large photo calenders sold in book shops around Xmas. Most of his work doesn't stir any warm feelings in me, but I did like the three Imbiss pics in the 'diversen' section. And yes, it is technically well executed, even though I prefer architecture to be shot with a technical camera that reduces the converging lines a bit more. But that's personal. It could well be that Murray finds this work more to his liking, at least it has a clear subject and a motiv.

I can see something in the use of Bertrams use of the word Orte, although it is hard to translate that word in all its (philosophical) meanings and implicated imagery and context. It could well be that Kay has a very different sense of what makes something an Ort than Shore did. Hmm, I'll chew on this one for a bit.
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    I can see something in the use of Bertrams use of the word Orte, although it is hard to translate that word in all its (philosophical) meanings and implicated imagery and context. It could well be that Kay has a very different sense of what makes something an Ort than Shore did. Hmm, I'll chew on this one for a bit.
    While you chew:

I've not enuff knowledge of the English language for a really competent translation, also because it is even pretty difficult to compare "Ort" and "Platz" in German.

Maybe "Ort" it just one word more which the German language offers for "place" and it means "place" on a higher level of abstraction.

I would not dare to interprete or categorize neither Shore's nor Kay's nor any other photos, that is what critics do, which are nothing but the stock analysts of the art market. They put a sticker on each artist and add a comment and so all those parvenus, who buy the artist's work can explain to their parvenu neighbour why the bought it.

To me a photo talks, it tells a story, provokes a clear feeling or I leave it alone and forget it.

Shore's and Kay's photos talk about something like the "personality" of urban places, strange or not strange, positive or negative vibes, does not matter. Unique enuff tho to evoke a strong feeling, friendly, eery, amazing, frightening, depressing, whatever.

In principle it is the same thing which happens if we look at normal landscapes of all kinds, , we know that and we are used to it.
    To translate this into an urban environment is not "normal" tho and so most people look at it and ask "why the hell does somebody find this terrible ugly place worth to take a photo ?"
    If a landscape causes an eery feeling we find it "interesting", in an urban environment such a photo is often considered as junk, tho the mechanism is the same.

So if somebody pointing on me with a gun would force me to categorize such photos, of which I myself have done some too, I would say these are "urban landscapes".

Kay's shots are pretty exciting for me , they look "empty" or don't cause "warm feelings" because this is part of the the idea of the photo. ;-)

bertram

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Norm, as you know I'm aesthetically dead, but I don't see anything characteristically german in the compositions or lighting, choice of. I'm not sure there's a characteristically german style, too many germans for that.

But the images of structures bring back what I felt when I arrived in Germany late in 1969, courtesy of the US army. The terrain was familiar and comfortable enough, the buildings were not. The sensation of wrongness bothered me, so I analysed it. Eventually I realized that the structures' proportions weren't what I was accustomed to. That was all, and that was enough to prevent me from feeling instantly at home there. You've spent time in the US, did you have a similar reaction when you arrived here?

I don't find Kay's landscape shots subtly unsettling, but his architectural shots, with the exception of the grain elevator, are. Grain elevators seem to be pretty much the same everywhere. But the other structures he shot have something a little wrong about them, at least to my eyes. Their proportions aren't what I've come to see as right. I like his compositions, most speak to my dislike of bilateral symmetry.

His graveyard shots could have been taken many places in the US. There's nothing odd or disturbing about them, Not, though, in places where the dead are put away above ground. To my eye they're the weakest of the shots he posted.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been musing on this, and re-looking at Shore's and Kay's work, and re-musing and mulling and re-musing again.

Bertram, I hear and agree with all that you say, but at the same time I look at Kay's and Shore's photographs and see a clear distinction. Not necessarily a large one, but a clear one. My previous comment was an attempt to tease out in words what I instinctively feel when I look at the photos. Shore's photos seem to be more about how places are used; Kay's more about how places are made and defined. There is more explicit human activity in Shore's work; in Kay's it is alluded to rather than depicted.

As I said, I don't want to take this too far, or to indulge in word games or criticism for the sake of it; but I do find it useful to analyse my instincts, both as a way to make myself open to new work, and to inform my own photography. In this case, Shore and Kay are obviously closer to each each other than to the classic architechural photographers you find in all the magazines, or a conceptual artist like Sugimoto. It is also possible - desirable even - to be strongly influenced by someone without copying them.

I lived in Berlin for a while 91-93 and find the whole idea of something being "typically German" more than a bit laughable. Yes there are aspects of the popular culture or the high-art scene that you can point to if you feel like reinforcing the usual stereotypes, but where do you file all the counter-culture Kreuzberg stuff, or the rich medieval heritage?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin