Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,716   Online: 866

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: kaykaykay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

kaykaykay

That's not only what Lucky Luke's dog Rataplan always said in the Belgian comic series from my childhood, it's also the name of the website of a German photographer who regularly posts on the german large format forum. Here's the link to his personal website.

I quite like some of his work, espcially his sense of place and his use of color. Being European/German, his work feels a lot closer to home that lots of the stuff I see here in the galleries. That's not a critique of your work (some of which I obviously like), just a result from living in a different aesthetic universe. I wondered how this -I may say- 'typically German' work affects the non-Europeans present here (the majority). It could well be that it leaves you completely cold, that you find it too distant - something I've heard people say about other German photogs. So have it out and show me the vast and wide oceans that lie between our differences in taste and vision.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    OK, I'll get the ball rolling.

I find them empty of the photographers soul. Then again, maybe that's what he's going for - dispassionate recordings of place. They wouldn't (for me) stand out from a wall of commercial real estate listing photographs, except for their possible technical superiority.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having just returned from Germany two weeks ago, and having visited the country about 15 times, also being married to a German, I have some idea of photography in that country.

I don't think the photographer is mainstream German, the motive behind the pictures appears to be technical brilliance first, content second. Whilst some people may think German people are only interested in technical brilliance first and formost, I find on the whole, they are as motivated as anyone about the content first, with technical stuff only needing sufficient relevance to show the picture.

My late father in-law, who was a photographer in the German army on the Russian front, was always telling me that content was first and technical things were second.

However I think the technique shown with the moving cars being ghost like, is very interesting. It's given me an idea or two.

I wouldn't put this photographers style on my must see list, but I would see this work if it was on my way somewhere.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    That's not only what Lucky Luke's dog Rataplan always said in the Belgian comic series from my childhood, it's also the name of the website of a German photographer who regularly posts on the german large format forum. Here's the link to his personal website.

I quite like some of his work, espcially his sense of place and his use of color. Being European/German, his work feels a lot closer to home that lots of the stuff I see here in the galleries. That's not a critique of your work (some of which I obviously like), just a result from living in a different aesthetic universe. I wondered how this -I may say- 'typically German' work affects the non-Europeans present here (the majority). It could well be that it leaves you completely cold, that you find it too distant - something I've heard people say about other German photogs. So have it out and show me the vast and wide oceans that lie between our differences in taste and vision.

Interesting, I particularily liked: http://www.kaykaykay.net/bilder/eon1.jpg I'm not so sure that what is different here is vision, as much as what is being viewed. Perhaps it might be helpful for us clinging to the edge of the alternate continent if you could articulate what, from a European perspective, you perceive differentiates "european" approaches to landscape. Clearly the landscape is different but the same might be said of Maine and California. What I'm wondering is, are there unified attributes of European landscape photography that are unseen in the work of American artists?

Murray, what does the photographer's soul look like? Are we searching for a watermark? ...uh perhaps that was not the best way to express that, but can you show me an example a landscape photo that contains a little bit of the photographer's soul.
    Celac
    Last edited by pelerin; 01-22-2006 at 08:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pelerin
    Intersting, I particularily liked: http://www.kaykaykay.net/bilder/eon1.jpg I'm not so sure that what is different here is vision, as much as what is being viewed. Perhaps it might be helpful for us clinging to the edge of the alternate continent if you could articulate what, from a European perspective, you perceive differentiates "european" approaches to landscape. Clearly the landscape is different but the same might be said of Maine and California. What I'm wondering is are their unified attributes of European landscape photography that are unseen in the work of American artists?

I also liked that one, I find the composition really nice. I've been to Belgium and the Netherlands two years ago (and visited the Musée de la BD @ Bruxelles, I hear you Rantanplan!), and this is what it feels like outside of the historical centers.

People tend to forget that those countries were bombed to shreds, so that entire towns had to be rebuilt at once. The architectural layering that is the result of history vanished, and those place DO feel like they had their soul stolen.

I am not surprised that electro-industrial music caught so much in Belgium because that's how you should react to that kind of environment if you don't want to lose your sanity.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv
    I also liked that one, I find the composition really nice. I've been to Belgium and the Netherlands two years ago (and visited the Musée de la BD @ Bruxelles, I hear you Rantanplan!), and this is what it feels like outside of the historical centers.

People tend to forget that those countries were bombed to shreds, so that entire towns had to be rebuilt at once. The architectural layering that is the result of history vanished, and those place DO feel like they had their soul stolen.

I am not surprised that electro-industrial music caught so much in Belgium because that's how you should react to that kind of environment if you don't want to lose your sanity.
    Hey,
    ...and still suffering. In France they are still defusing WW1 ordnance. But, if you want to see whole towns built in a moment, the landscape of California is infested with them. Eastern Contra Costa county is a good example. Acre after acre (hectare?) of farms and orchards that have been converted to relatively dense suburban housing seemingly in the blink of an eye. Instant aesthetic anesthesia via the visually banal.
    Celac.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I enjoyed looking over the images, but I must confess I'm left unsure after viewing one whether the artist had a purpose. I think we all know that what the photographer thinks they are seeing is often very different from what the viewer sees. But often when there is something very striking about a scene or compositional arrangement, the scene will be very striking to many, though perhaps in different ways. With these images, I find that I have no real sense for what the purpose of the photographer was, as the scenes and compositions are not particularly invigorating or dynamic. Quite the reverse. But at the same time the images convey a sense of immense thought and preparation. I am left wondering why the photographer went through the extensive preparations necessary to make the images.

I don't think this is particularly unique to this individual. I had a similar reaction to an MAS portfolio in Lenswork a few years ago. The rather long title was something to the effect of, "I have always felt that it is how one sees rather than what one sees that matters." There are a number of other images from the US I've seen that really leave me flat also. Somehow what these images seem to have in common is that they remind me of what my photos look like when I am determined to make an image and not patient enough. But the preparation that is inherent suggests that they do indeed see something there, and I'm missing it.

I'd probably go to an exhibition if it was convenient just because I always wonder how the real images feel, and am quite unimpressed with the web versions to convey that in most cases. I've seen images that didn't do anything for me online that were quite impressive in reality...at least to me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey,
    ...and still suffering. In France they are still defusing WW1 ordnance. But, if you want to see whole towns built in a moment, the landscape of California is infested with them. Eastern Contra Costa county is a good example. Acre after acre (hectare?) of farms and orchards that have been converted to relatively dense suburban housing seemingly in the blink of an eye. Instant aesthetic anesthesia via the visually banal.
    Celac.
    But what about all that lovely landscape in Wildcat Canyon and Tilden Park? At least that is still nicely wild. But I guess that counts as western Contra Costa? But the rest, yeah.

The architechture shots are very geometric, and they are slightly appealing in that way. But there is a very impersonal style to his shooting. Interesting pick.

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." --John Milton

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter." --Unknown missionary

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Murray, what does the photographer's soul look like?
    What I meant is that I get no sense of passion, no sense of how the photographer was captivated, angered, repulsed, motivated, or amazed by his subject matter. They feel like large format snapshots...devoid of emotion. But like I said, maybe that's what he's going for.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really do not like this sort of images.
    Some call it "trash photography" here.
    That is the reason why I left a German internet photo group when these images were raised to heaven there!
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin