Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,589   Online: 1149

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Dave,

The land manager mentioned that there is a pack of coyote that hunts in the woods just beyond where these buffalo pasture. I will show him your picture and ask if he has seen anything like it here, especially when there are young calves.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not so sure I would thump a buffalo on the nose when it's in a nasty mood. Might just make the big fellow too frisky. They are wonderful animals, but have a head like a battering ram and the physical structure to thump small cars into the next zip code for fun. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    I'm not so sure I would thump a buffalo on the nose when it's in a nasty mood. Might just make the big fellow too frisky. They are wonderful animals, but have a head like a battering ram and the physical structure to thump small cars into the next zip code for fun. tim
    About 5 years ago in Yellowstone over by Old Faithful Geyser, there was what they can a "Bison jam" which involved a large number of very large bulls, and it was during rut(mating season) so we are all backed up, waiting for them to cross the road and this yahoo in a small import car decided he didn't like waiting!!!! so he started honking his horn at them, three of the bulls, one on each side and one in the front of him all flipped their heads very quickly with a burning look in their eyes....

Well to make it short, they all charged at the same time, two big dents in the doors later as well as a blown out grill, two of them hit from one side and basically turned the car up on its side!!!! and the people in the car were all yelling at the driver who had decided a Bison knew the meaning of a horn blowing...fortunately nobody was hurt...but the looks on their face when the guy honked their horn was great, and the car got carried off on the back of a wrecker...after it was all said and done, it was really quite comical!!!

Dave

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Bison 1 - Horn Blower 0

Too funny

Glad no one was hurt.

A buddy of mine went Bison hunting in Paradise Valley just north of Yellowstone this winter. They took done a cow that was acting out on a ranch. Her behavor was too dangerous to be around.

I was told that the shot had to be just right, or she would just get mad. Seems you can't shoot a bison straight into the head 'cause a high powered rifle bullet won't penetrate. Had to shoot her behind the ear.

I need a herd of bison when I drive into the city!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave

The bison would have liked to have just "honked" back.....too bad their "horns" didn't work

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Pinholemaster] Seems you can't shoot a bison straight into the head 'cause a high powered rifle bullet won't penetrate. Had to shoot her behind the ear.

QUOTE]

To maintain your financial security, I advise you don't make a cash money bet
    on what you have been told. It simply ain't true! Behind the ear is a shot normally reserved for Black Powder cartridge and patched roundball hunters.

Charlie.............................

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The land manager showed me the skull of a bull with a large bullet hole, centered between the eyes, about two inches above a line between the eye sockets.

John Powers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have heard this about cape buffalo, but they have horns that cover their entire head.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster
    Bison 1 - Horn Blower 0

I was told that the shot had to be just right, or she would just get mad. Seems you can't shoot a bison straight into the head 'cause a high powered rifle bullet won't penetrate. Had to shoot her behind the ear.

I need a herd of bison when I drive into the city!
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cape Buffalo and American Bison are two different species,

In north america, there are no Buffalo, they are considered a completely different species that were named incorrectly, the Cape Buffalo is a very nasty animal with a very bad temper, the american bison is just a nasty creature with a bad attitude..But I am here to say, I don't want to mess with either of them!

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Cape Buffalo and American Bison are two different species,

In north america, there are no Buffalo, they are considered a completely different species that were named incorrectly, the Cape Buffalo is a very nasty animal with a very bad temper, the american bison is just a nasty creature with a bad attitude..But I am here to say, I don't want to mess with either of them!

Dave
    In Nepal the asian water buffalo is called "bhaisi", which doesn't help with making the buffalo/bison distinction. They are considered calmer than the Cape buffalo, but they are still rather short tempered and a typical adult male weighs 1,000 kg or more. They are on my "don't annoy" list, somewhere near the top.

Lee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin