Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,252   Online: 942

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    John,
    Check out http://www.woolaroc.org/wildlife/nature.html. It's a private preserve/museum/etc in northeastern Oklahoma. Calling someone on site that handles the wildlife management may yield some info.
    Chris
    Last edited by cdholden; 03-16-2006 at 05:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fixed url

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    You are correct in that these animals are really quite dangerous. About twenty years ago I traveled to Yellowstone and was possible to get as close to the buffalo as one wanted. The outcome is that some people got hurt.
    John,
    I'm glad to see others are pointing out the potential dangers of being around buffalo. They are truly magnificent creatures and a most worthy photo subject. Take some time and study their body physiology. I'm sure you will quickly realize just how powerful they are.

Being another boy from Kansas, and having been around them some over my lifetime, here's my two rules for staying alive.

1. Never go inside the fence with them alone, especially when your attention will be focused on manipulating a camera. Make sure the other person is one whose familiar with the animals and how they behave. Just a slightly awkward sudden movement, one that you wouldn't think would be of any consequence, can provoke a deadly charge from a previously docile bull.

2. Don't even think about trying to get close to them when the cows have calves. The cows are extremely protective. You will notice they start pawing the ground and snorting as soon as they catch sight or wind of you. That's their warning and it needs to be heeded. I well remember one unfortunate ranch hand who's brand-new pickup was totally destroyed when he got it between a cow and her calf. He was lucky in that he was still inside the truck when she charged.

Have fun, keep safe, and hope you post some good scans from your efforts.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin