Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,181   Online: 687

Shooter
    35mm

Werner Bischof & his dark materials..

Hallo there,

I am trying to find out a little more information about the superb Swiss photographer, Werner Bischof, who was a member of Magnum until his untimely death at the age of 38 in 1954.
    In particular, does anybody know what cameras he used? Or film etc.
    Or can somebody direct me to a site that may cast more light on the subject?
    I would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks a lot,

M.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I agree that Werner Bischof was superb. Unfortunately, i don't know what films/cameras he used.

Russell Miller's book about the Magnum agency has more information, including an amazingly prescient quote from a letter in 1954 about the direction of society.

There is also the book "Werner Bischof, 1916-1954, His Life And Work" by Marco Bischof and Rene Burri. I quickly scanned some of the text and didn't find any information about cameras/film. I could very easily have overlooked such a reference. On page 64 of this book, there is a picture of a monument to Martin Luther with the ruins of Dresden behind it; this picture always moves me, probably because of the years I spent in Lutheran parochial schools as a child.
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

nyx

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    According to some article I read about him, it was Linhof 9x12 for his early work, for his reportage work he switched to Rolleiflex and later to Leica/Contax 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most he did with the Rolleiflex and hes wife is still living. And I heared some years ago they want to bring out a new book about him, if I remember correctly hes son was working on it!
    Do a google search and I'm sure you'l find something!
    He worked also for the art mag "DU" wich is a very good art mag here in swiss!
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That book was published in 2004, "Questions To My Father: A Tribute to Werner Bischof" by Marcos Bischof. While browsing through it now, I was startled to find a portrait of the Mexican painter Frida Kahlo at work....
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin