Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,791   Online: 1051

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Guess who got a his own FEMA trailer! [Sam Portera]

....and it only took, what, eight months.

I may gripe and groan but I am damn glad to have it finally. The air condition, hot water heater and toilet all work and I couldn't be happier! Came complete with pots and pans, silverware, plates and blankets. Even a mop and a broom!

I know its not much but its a small place that I can call my own (until they take it back). No more living out of a bag and not knowing where I'll sleep next month. I have been staying in some one elses trailer for the last month and renting one prior to that, while I'm away from NOLA working.

Seriously though, there are a lot of awfully good people who want to do good but are tied up in mountains of "home land security" paper work. Fema is now under home land security and everything takes an amazingly long time to do. I'm very sorry to say that I have lost faith in my governments ability to save us in a disaster. Far too many cheifs and too little Indians.

Sorry for the rant, I actually am happy just perplexed at how complicated everything has become.

Just wanted to share my joy with the group.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For whatever reason, FEMA has never been the efficient organization that is needed to respond to our nation's disasters. It may have never been adequately staffed; I know that they depend heavily on part time help for disaster response and may lack enough trained professionals to help it achieve its mission. But there is no doubt that it has gotten worse since Homeland Security was created. All of its energy and resources were sucked into the terrorism response effort at the expense of the natural disaster response. And, having a leader appointed by the spoils system sure didn't help. Hopefully the new director, someone who has managed emergencies his whole career, can set things right, but the agency is such a mess that I don't think he has much of a chance. Anyway, I'm glad you have a home to call your own.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Con gratulations
    How big is the darkroom
    Cheers, Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good news Sam and keep up the great photography that you have been producing.
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations Sam...actually time seems about right, why? have a friend who just got back from Iraq...he and his guys slept in tents the entire time, they just moved in and made ready the container quarters when the guys had about a month to go....no one wanted to move in for a month.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad to hear you have something. Sorry to hear that it took so long.

FEMA was alwas a poor stepchild in the Federal Government. Now its part of the larger cabinet level behemoth Homeland Security...

The biggest problem, many times, with the larger bureaucratic departments is that they are administered by polictical wonks who know next to nothing about the agency that they were appointed to. For them its all about how THEY get ahead, what their next next move will be, not how to do the job right.

It's just a thought, but wouldn't it be an interesting idea to have people with disaster relief experience running a disaster relief agency? Kind of like having a Police Chief with some policing experience or a Fire Chief thats been inside a burning building once or twice....

NAH! Stupid idea! What WAS I thinking?!?!?!?!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Apart from slow government, how is things progressing (?) in the area ?
    Cheers, Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A mop and a broom? I'll bet you never thought you'd be so thankful to have such items in your possesion again, huh? I'm just amazed that despite all of this, you are still producing such incredible work. You are an inspiration, Sam, truly! Best of luck to you

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportera
    ... I'm very sorry to say that I have lost faith in my governments ability to save us in a disaster. Far too many cheifs and too little Indians. ...
    Yesterday was the 100th anniversery of the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. PBS had a special on it Monday night. It was startling to see that the people of the city started cleaning up almost immediately. Probably because (unlike NO) nobody told them they couldn't. Also, within days of the disaster, Army units began arriving with food and supplies. Although it was not mentioned, I would guess that the initiative was from base commanders all up and down the west coast, rather than from Washington.

People just did things 100 years ago, and now we have FEMA. :rolleyes:

Good luck Sam. We're with you!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wow...for trailor trash you sure make purdy pik-tyures

Murray

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin