Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,391   Online: 854

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hahn
    There is a site www.masters-of-photography.com ....
    The site is also full of popup's and popunders.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    have you checked out Simon Norfolk

http://www.simonnorfolk.com/

he shoots LF colour mostly and is as interested in beautiful images as he is in the message behind them

a lot of political stuff but mostly looking at the consequences of our political actions

and for you B&W buffs you must check out his book

"For most of it I have no words"

enjoy

Seamus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seamus, I'd never heard of Simon Norfolk but that is extremely powerful work. Thank you for the link.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Lee my pleasure

have you seen the work of Desiree Dolron http://www.desireedolron.com/

her xteriors series has to be seen in the flesh to be believed where as I just couldn't give a toss for her other work

enjoy

Seamus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep them coming Seamus. I actually got goose bumps looking at the xteriors series, there's something both beautiful and slightly scary about them.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks averyone for their posts. I liked simon norfolk the most. Some other suggestions were more of the usual american landscape photography which I don't like.
    http://www.desireedolron.com/ is indeed very nice.
    Hope for some more.
    Best regards Sam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may want to take a look at Hardie Truesdale. Shoots mainly medium format, has two books published, one on the Adirondacks, and another on the Hudson River. I attended a day long workshop with him last summer in New Paltz, very nice guy and a good photographer.

http://www.hardietruesdale.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks micheal for your post, only I looked at the pictures the photographer you suggested has shot, and those are good examples of photograps I don't like. They are very nicely taken, but the subjects are rocks, trees, waterfalls, flowers sunsets etc. etc. All subjects that are very postcard like.
    I think that's fine for what is is, just like wedding photography. But It's not what I am looking for. I like underlying beauty, tension. Meyerowitz is able to catch that from time 2 time. And it's mostly found not in sunsets, but in smaller things...
    The fact wether there is a book published or not is not too important. I will change the thread's title maybe to make that clearer. But on the other hand, it would be nice if there is some published work or a decebt website so I can check it easily out. And buy a book maybe.

Thanks again Sam

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I wonder if anyone really read the original post? Nearly everything that was mentioned was pretty post-card pictures. I know that some people love them, just like some people love Thomas Kinkade. If someone were to say "I like art similar to that of Cezanne." I don't think it would be appropriate for someone else to say, "I loath Cezanne, but you should really check out Kinkade." One, it is irrevelant to the original question asked. And Two, it is a very narrow minded thing to say.

I love most of Meyerowtiz Tuscany photographs. You can sign up on his site and view his intire archive.

Mont Saint Victoire by Risaku Suzuki is pretty similar to Meyerowitz's Tuscany work, but still very nice.

One of the few photography books I have is Brovo 20: The Bombing of the American West by Richard Misrach. It was $40 more than I could afford but it was something I felt I couldn't live without.

Borderlands by Eirik Johnson. I don't really like the book design (mostly the full bleeds over the gutter) but the photographs are worth seeing.

Edward Burtinsky has yet to be mentioned. I preffer him to Chris Jordan, but Jordon does have a few that are incredible.

Robert Flick's Los Angels Photographs.

David Graham who takes a good look at what makes America America (the cover of his book, Land of the Free is one of my favorite pictures)

Color photography has really become more accessable because of digital printing, and now has become somewhat glutted (I know that statement can get more than a few peoples' panties in knot---especially here) You have to look through a lot of work to find things that really stand out as being excelent. The same thing can be said about photograpy books in general (there are 415 monographs now on Photo-Eye).

The New Color Photography by Sally Eauclaire (actually written in 1981 and is out of print) is, "The first major publication devoted entirely to contemporary color photography." (photo-eye.com)
    Last edited by Richard Boutwell; 04-22-2006 at 12:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Richard,

I did read the original posting. Though some of these photographers do sell post cards, most of their work is well beyond the post card type of images. In fact, like it or not many are considered the masters of the landscape genre in the United States.

And by the way I do not like Kinkade.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin