Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,904   Online: 1165

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

is learning how to development worth it?

i have been seriously taking pictures for the last year, i asked for a camera for my 16th birthday and am really liking it. then my aunt gave me some old developing equipment (enlarger, easel, ect). if i were wanting to persue photography as a carreer, should i learn how to use this stuff?
    Last edited by snowfooled; 04-20-2006 at 10:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it is always a good skill to have a strong knowledge of how the whole process works, and darkroom work is very satisfying for many different reasons, this does not mean as you grow up that the darkroom would always be part of your activities, but with the knowledge and skills to do it, you will always be able to make pictures. I would recommend learning the darkroom, I found knowing the darkroom stuff actually helps me make better images.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfooled
    i have been seriously taking pictures for the last year, i asked for a camera for my 16th birthday and am really liking it. then my aunt gave me some old developing equipment (enlarger, easel, ect). if i were wanting to persue photography as a carreer, should i learn how to use this stuff?

This is a tricky question to answer... since many (but not all) of us here develop our own negatives (at a minimum) and develop our own prints, we will almost all respond that this is "true" photography and you should "pursue" it. I am in [B]total [/B] agreement with them!

You, however, asked if knowing how to use a darkroom is an essential element to a career in photography... not sure it is now. BUT, if your aunt gave you that stuff, odds are pretty good she knows how to use it, and would be in 7th heaven if you expressed an interest in it & asked for her help.

Cripe, I spend a great deal of time trying to convert various young people from the lure of instant gratification (digi-click-click-click) to the pure wonder of a print created by your own two hands from negatives you developed yourself.

It may not be a "career path", but by george, it's one hell of a good time!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    35mm
    Jeanette, who is this George that shows you such a hell of a good time?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Jeanette, who is this George that shows you such a hell of a good time?
    Ermmmm.... did I say george??? I erm... meant bill... yeah, bill!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    35mm
    well the equipment was my aunts ex boyfriends... so i will have to find some one else to help me. i must agree the the "digi click click" is a major contributing factor to the slow film industry decline =(
    where is a good place to make a darkroom? i was thinking of putting up a couple layers of black cloth in my garage and then doing it at night. but first see if it is actually light tight. any thoughts on this idea?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeanette, you party animal.

Someone send snowfooled some D76...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow

Someone send snowfooled some D76...
    D67? whats that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    well the equipment was my aunts ex boyfriends... so i will have to find some one else to help me. i must agree the the "digi click click" is a major contributing factor to the slow film industry decline =(
    where is a good place to make a darkroom? i was thinking of putting up a couple layers of black cloth in my garage and then doing it at night. but first see if it is actually light tight. any thoughts on this idea?
    This is probably a workable idea for printing, although you may find problems with dust getting on the negatives in the enlarger, but no reason not to give it a try. The other favorite location for a 1st darkroom is the bathroom as you have water and drainage available and, being a small room, it is usually fairly easy to make light-tight (a bit of a pain if it contains the only lavatory for the whole family though!).

Developing film in a daylight tank (which is the most common method) only requires complete darkness while you load the film on to the reels and place them in the tank: once the lid is on the tank, you do the rest in daylight. Some people load the film inside a changing bag if they do not have a place to use as a darkroom.

Look at this thread (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/10966-darkroom-portraits.html) - most show purpose built darkrooms but there are some ingenious ideas for squeezing a darkroom space in to bathrooms and cupboards etc too.

If you go to the Ilford website at (http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applications/page.asp?n=9) there are files you can download and read about the basics in developing and printing.

Good luck, Bob.

P.S. D76 is the ubiquitous film developer from Kodak...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ... should i learn how to use this stuff?
    Yes.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin