Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,554   Online: 1126

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Faves ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brass´
    Bill Brandt
    Henri Cartier-Bresson
    Andre Kertesz
    Don McCullin
    David Bailey
    Yousuf Karsh
    Dorothea Lange
    Lee Miller
    Peter Henry Emerson

It'll change tomorrow but these have been consistently my faves for 20+ years.
    Mark

Shooter
    35mm
    Unless I missed it, I haven't seen Garry Winogrand's name. An acquired taste, perhaps?

Nevertheless, he has got to rank up there somewhere in terms of sheer volume of work. I think that the Center for Creative Photography is still trying to sort through the thousands (literally!) of rolls of film left when he "shuffled off [his] mortal coil".

He might win some kind of a mention for the record number of exposures made by a (relatively) famous photographer!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by HouTexDavid View Post
    Unless I missed it, I haven't seen Garry Winogrand's name. An acquired taste, perhaps?

Nevertheless, he has got to rank up there somewhere in terms of sheer volume of work. I think that the Center for Creative Photography is still trying to sort through the thousands (literally!) of rolls of film left when he "shuffled off [his] mortal coil".

He might win some kind of a mention for the record number of exposures made by a (relatively) famous photographer!
    I thought they developed them all and the result was the Szarkowski-edited "Figments from the Real World", which he indicated had a very low image "hit" rate for the volume of film shot.

I don't have a link handy, but I've seen some references indicating Winogrand got a motor drive for his Leica in his later years, which some speculate had a negative effect on his image quality (eg, it made it too easy to "pray and spray", as it were).
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    No particular order

Lee Freidlander
    Stephen Shore
    Richard Avedon
    Lartigue
    Weegee
    Edward Weston
    Mark Klett
    Abelardo Morell
    Steve Aishman
    Gregory Crewdson
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm
    Mabman,
    I think that you are correct that they did develop all of Winogrand's film. I read of a symposium/exhibit held at the Center for Creative Photography (Tucson) in late 2001/early 2002 where they explored Winogrand's work, including his last unedited (by Winogrand) work. There apparently was some debate about whether or not to exhibit photos taken by a deceased photographer that the photographer had no chance to proof/edit. (I say, bring 'em on -- no use in hiding potentially great photos in a store room somewhere.)

There was indeed some discussion of the diminishing quality of Winogrand's late work. But others thought that he was trying to push past his "legacy" work into new areas to "solve new photography problems" as Winogrand would say.

Anyway, I like the guy's work. I've got to feel admiration for anyone who was as obsessive about exposing film as Winogrand. He seemed to live for shooting pictures.

I read an interesting interview with the guy in Austin Tx, Jerry Sullivan, who maintained Winogrand's Leicas while Winogrand was at the University of Texas. According to Sullivan, Winogrand beat the hell out of his Leicas -- not literally, but Winogrand "rode them hard". I guess that anyone who shot at many photos as Winogrand probably used up a lot of equipment in the process!

Anyway, those of you who have not already, check out Winogrand's work -- I think that you'll agree that he belongs up there with the masters... David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Edward Weston would occupy positions 1-5 for me, then in no particular order, I guess I'd say....

6. Minor White
    7. Andre Kertesz
    8. Henri Cartier Bresson
    9. Yousuf Karsh
    10. Sebastiao Salgado
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin