Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,459   Online: 1151

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

20 Years After Chernobyl

Not sure if this is off topic, but if you haven't seen them already, run, don't walk, to www.slate.com to see Paul Fusco's amazing essay, "20 Years after Chernobyl." Wow. I'm not sure what moved me more: the actual photography or the dedication of a photographer to a story for so long.

Once again (as if anyone here needed reminding) the point is proven: in a digital world, only the humanity of a photograph (and a photographer) can move us to tears. They have yet to build a computer capable of that.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    superb series, has this appeared in magazines?
    Game

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unsure. You, living in Europe, would have a far greater chance of seeing them, I would think, than us here in the States. (Brittany's baby! Brad and Angelina!! Paris Hilton!!!) But I applaud Slate for giving them such prominence. Coming on the heels of last week's Pulitzer to Todd Heisler for his amazing series, "Final Salute," this has been a good couple of days to see some inspirational work.

cheers,

Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A friend of mine, Gabriela Bulisova, has been involved in a documentary project entitled Chernobyl::20 which can be accessed at this URL:

http://www.c-20.org/

Please take a look.

Gabriela has photographed in Belarus several times documenting the effects of the Chernobyl incident and the impact it has had on residents. She also has been actively involved in The Children's Chernobyl Project which brings children afflicted with radiation-related ailments to countries like Ireland and the United States for medical treatment. It's a good cause worthy of support.

Joe

Images
    what I saw was cool. Dial up was slow. I'll view the rest at work tomorrow. Thanks for posting
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am amazed at the courage and the grace of the women and men who work in the asylums taking care of the sick children. My existence seems meaningless compared to what they are doing. If there was ever a compelling case against the use of nuclear energy, this is it.

I admire the incredible work of Paul Fusco, and his dedication.

Thank you for posting this thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is also The Kidd of Speed site, created by a young woman who motorcycles through the contamination zone to Chernobyl.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The "Kidd of Speed" site is a well-known fraud.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Budding
    The "Kidd of Speed" site is a well-known fraud.
    That is a very strong statement. Evidence please.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a very powerful photo essay by Paul Fusco. Something to be said for viewing it on the internet. No magazine would be able to run an almost 40 image photo essay! Well worth a look.

Although, I'm not sure I liked the music, and I think I would have liked to hear some of the voices of the people in the photos, and not just the photographers voice. (I mean... if you are going to add some audio... it really should include the voices of your subject, right?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin