Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,747   Online: 932

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All of these disasters deserve our attention... what else keeps the issues alive? Obviously there's always more to the story than what is glorified by the Infotainment world of news. I don't have a tv setup for reception. I was supposed to be there during the storm and was talked into staying away by family. So, I followed the live coverage and aftermath coverage by radio for days on end. It was surreal to listen as the conditions worsened after the storm had passed. Nola.com was the only other connection; still is a relevant source. It took about a week to get in touch with those that stayed , or even those out of state as phone lines were down, or overloaded with users. Since then keeping abreast of progress, actually stagnation, has been through visiting friends and family. For the insider information I have a couple of friends that are New Orleans firemen....the stories are simply incredible. The longer the conditions linger the more we lose. They are so many obstacles in the way of recovery...it's a vicious cycle that continues.
    Last edited by agGNOME; 04-29-2006 at 02:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Radio talk shows and online news programs probably will do better than TV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1. All media, especially electronic don't want to show bad thigs in prolonged time. Nobody wants to have reputation as "messenger of bad news", so all wants as soon as possibile to turn to "sunny" things.

2. "Far away from eyes is far away from heart". So, if I am not directly affected I don't care, especially in prolonged time period.

3. We all wach CNN or BBC or Oprah show or... Time line is most important. NO matter how serious issue is, 30 minutes per show and then off to another theme. No way to change time line for sake of seriousness of issue disscused in show. That is what media established, and that is what they force viewers to get used to. You know, we must play commercial ads... And what really can be discussed or solved is 30 minutes show in which you have 5 guests...

And so on...

So, I am not surprized.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can't even imagine how disruptive this has been to thousands of families like yours. The response by the various authorities, especially at the federal level has been shameful. The insurance and mortage companies seem to have been looked after, but joe citizen has been dry humped six ways to Sunday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One place where you will get in depth coverage of the current state of affairs in the Katrina ravaged area is National Public Radio's All Things Considered news program. They have been doing features on a weekly basis covering various aspects of the recovery and the struggles facing residents in the post Katrina era.

Sadly, for the rest of the media, recovery is not a sexy news story. Catastrophe, destruction and corpses drive coverage.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    NBC this last week was airing some after the storm NO stuff every day, although I only caught one broadcast, so do not know how extensive it was. I also did see some of the same tv personalities as before continusing to talk about it. There have been other reports as well that has kept it in front of my eyes, but alot of the reportage has been how assistance is lacking. Outside of NO, I do not know too much about the GULF coast in general as coverage seems to be especially lacking there, although I believe they are in as bad if not worse condition being that gov assistance basically disapperared; Probably thanks to the debt of the war in Iraq. Now finger pointing is on FEMA and how they want to replace it because of the bad job it did. I believe that it was a total mismanagement from the top down and that the whole administration is at fault. Next time maybe we'll vote for someone who is actually a better administrator.

If anything has been learned, it's that you can't depend on the GOV to help. The U.S. is deep in debt, as bad as most credit card holders, and we don't have the money to fund any projects of relief except as it trickles in. Of course meanwhile Exxon is making record profits; Well as least my friend Jay is living off the dividends.

What makes me wonder is where the ourpouring of support by the American public went? I think it would be prudent to next time fund the local churches and townships then to give to gigantic non-profit corps. Locals know what they need and usually can get it faster if funded right.

If anything, a public diaster plan absoutely needs to be in place and our elected officials should make it their priority to place such an important agenda at the top of the list. You can't count on the GOV or the insurance companies anymore. Your on your own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On Thursday of this week I sat in the auditorium where I teach, and listened to Nick Kristof of the NY Times (who just won a Pulitzer Prize for his commentary..his second Pulitzer I might add.) discuss Darfur. He is a compelling speaker and a deeply compassionate and vivid reporter of the nightmare of horror and vicious genocide in that sorry place. After I'd heard the words "rape", "mutilation", "murder", "torture" etc. for 45 minutes or so, I am embarrased to admit that they began to sound almost commonplace...the shock of what they meant began to abate. I refused to allow myself to fall into that word weariness and forcefully demanded of myself that I really listen and try to treat each account anew. But it wasn't easy.

Because I live in NY and had close ties to 9/11, I still break down from time to time when I'm reminded of it. It still matters. So does Katrina and the thousands of lives that have been disrupted and torn apart by it. I work to keep these things in the present enough that I can respond willingly in whatever way I can to help. Again, it isn't easy. But it's something that I, and all of us must strive to do.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    John, I could not have said better myself.

Wayne, I can say that none of my family or extended family got money, The redcross drove a van through the streets handing out food for a few months. Water too. The money ended up in someones pockets.

I don't know who americans gave their money to, but Ive only seen the red cross doing anything at all. Church groups make the pilgrimage down here and "gut" houses witch helps us a lot.

Never seen the United Way, or any other charity group.

Ask davidb, he saw it first hand. it was interesting to see an outsiders reaction to the "progress" He came down here five months after to see for himself and I admire him for that, we have since became freinds.

Cameron, I like you knew there would be a story there and my photographer mind saw some possibilies but my father/husband mind won out and I stayed with my family.

Thanks for the responses, sorry for the rant. Just had to get it off my chest to someone.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    Sadly, for the rest of the media, recovery is not a sexy news story. Catastrophe, destruction and corpses drive coverage.
    Except for this:

http://www.democracynow.org/search.pl?query=katrina

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Very interesting link. Thanks for posting it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin