Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,570   Posts: 1,545,477   Online: 1231

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm getting APUG fatigue...
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just take a walk, APUG Fatigue wears off.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sam I appreciate your tragically beautiful documentary.

Have you chosen to not to put faces on the documentary, not to photograph the remaining citizens such as yourself, those "fighting the fight" "keeping the faith" or have most of them "moved on"

Here in Las Vegas, in the months following the storm, a great effort was made to relocate and employ as many as possible....in recent news interviews here in Nevada ,many, I would say most all, of those leaving New Orleans and now employed here in the hotel industry and in the Clark County school district, have indicated that they will not be returning to New Orleans. I imagine this only adds to the difficult situation of redevelopment and reconstruction, i.e when you do not have advocates present and on the ground demanding help and relief? Owning a home in the Florida Keys I have first hand experience, though not to your extent, of the frustration and feeling of helplessness in these situations, hurricane Georges in particular cost us several years of frustration to even get back on track and it never will be as it was...

In any case the lack of national and local governmental planning and ability to carry out effective relief is unacceptable, the reports and evidences of local corruption and incompetence are shameful. These facts should be heavy on the hearts and minds of every American...

Thanks again for posting your photographs.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Sam;
    Couple of thoughts. First off, thanks for the picutres, keep them comming please. I enjoy them (if that's the right word).

Secondly, some of us do have something of an idea of what you are going through. One of my staff members did 5 weeks of human remains recovery in New Orleans. The debriefing i had, followed by the constants updates on the possible implications of bird flu - well - some of us do not sleep so good at night.

Last, people who say learn to depend on yourself first and the government second (or not at all) hit the nail straight on the head. Fire, hurricane, tornado, flood, bird flu - whatever - governments simply do not have the time, money, people or even the expertise in many case to effectly help in the time needed. Learn what you need to do to ready yourself in these situations. If you never need it great, but if you do, you really will need it

joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Dave,

I'm glad to know that some of our NOLA brethren have found a life and work in Las Vegas. Thank you for your comments and for what your community did for those New Orleanians.

Joneil,

Im not sure what your trying to tell me. I am not relying on government becasue I don't have to, My wife and I have jobs and money coming in, but many don't. The sitiuation is far to complicated for me explain here but suffice it to say that if you are getting your knowledge of this or any other disaster, from the national media, you are getting a small snap shot of the misery.

NOLA is and will come back, that is the NOLA that tourist come to see. The French Quater, Downtown, and Convention area. The hotels are at 25% right now and thats mostly releif workers (FEMA, SBA, Trailer contracters). In fact right now there is no cheaper time to come to the city, the hotels are dying for your buissiness.

But the NOLA that I knew, the communities are gone, possibly forever. Thats what makes me stop and take a deep breath. The NOLA of the New Orleanians is what I miss. With out the help of the government its simply impossible for us alone to rebuild. Its too massive for our meger insurance settlements to handle

The politics, levees, FEMA, SBA, insurance, flood elevations, future storms, all complicate the matter of whether to rebuild or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to expand on what Sam said.... the situation is complex. Joe, I believe any sensible person would agree with the sentiment of being self-sufficient. Yeah, there are way too many people milking the scenario for what they see as opportunity.
    But, some of the obstacles to recovery are not people waiting on government assistance, rather waiting for government (federal & local) to get out of the damn way. In other words, government bureaucracy and ass dragging is preventing many from rebuilding because... only until recently were they given authoritative permission or guidelines to do so.
    Beyond government if you are rebuilding you're likely on a waiting list of private contractors; many of which are screwing people by asking for deposits and not fulfilling their obligations. Move on to another company because you've been waiting for several months longer than promised and you lose your deposit. Not everyone is handy as an electrician, mason, carpenter, roofer, etc. Those that are have likely finished rebuilding months ago.
    -The affordability of housing in relation to the job market is another barrier.
    -Insurance companies as anyone can attest are a huge pain in the ass. You're paying for a service they don't want to provide.
    -Services we take for granted such as mail, and electricity were largely unavailable to many areas.
    The cycle goes round and round...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportera
    ...you are getting a small snap shot of the misery.
    What you have said here, this little line, makes me see the full picture of the scene in the aftermath of the hurricane disaster.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    What you have said here, this little line, makes me see the full picture of the scene in the aftermath of the hurricane disaster.

I forgot to add: That picture will stay with me besides my memory of visiting New Orleans 15 years ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I heard on the news that the Nat'l Guard was going to be deployed in NOLA to help curb rising violence. It made me think of you, Sam, and everyone else dealing with the current state of affairs. Maybe I'm crazy but my husband has some vacation time coming. We were thinking of going to Charleston but my heart says go to NOLA. We are (relatively) young and able-bodied. Maybe we could lend some assistance as well as enjoy the Quarter for a few days. I read that perhaps our tourist dollars would be helpful - is that true or just some hype created by a tourism site?

I would appreciate the advice of those of you who reside in NOLA. Should we come or would our presence be more burden than good? Thanks in advance and besides my questions, please do let all of us concerned APUGers know how you are.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Suffering from Brangelina and Britney fatigue here.

Keep the pictures coming Sam. You're doing important work.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin