Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,456   Online: 889

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Suffering from Brangelina and Britney fatigue here.

Keep the pictures coming Sam. You're doing important work.

I'll second that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    I heard on the news that the Nat'l Guard was going to be deployed in NOLA to help curb rising violence. It made me think of you, Sam, and everyone else dealing with the current state of affairs. Maybe I'm crazy but my husband has some vacation time coming. We were thinking of going to Charleston but my heart says go to NOLA. We are (relatively) young and able-bodied. Maybe we could lend some assistance as well as enjoy the Quarter for a few days. I read that perhaps our tourist dollars would be helpful - is that true or just some hype created by a tourism site?

I would appreciate the advice of those of you who reside in NOLA. Should we come or would our presence be more burden than good? Thanks in advance and besides my questions, please do let all of us concerned APUGers know how you are.

GO TO N.O. !!! Spend your money, have a good time, suck in the pain, spend money. Lend a hand. Did I mention spend money?

We went between Christmas and New Years (you might remember a post or two I made about it). The quarter wasn't all the way back, but you could and would have a good time. The people who worked there were happy to see us. Amazed that we would come to N.O. even though... By now I am sure 95% of the quarter is back, even if Flaratys (sp?) isn't.

As for absorbing the pain, my sister was running a free clinic in Algeirs. We went, we saw, we were amazed at what these people were doing (for nothing) to help out. We went to the upper and lower 9th. There is the pain. We went through Lakeside. THAT blew my socks off. This isn't some depressed little neighborhood. Lakeside is middle class urban life, like your's and mine... and gone. Nothing... just nothing was happening there.

Then take a drive to Biloxi. Be ready to be blown away. Blown away like everything 1/4 to 1/2 mile inland.... gone. Just gone. Anyway, go to New Orleans and have a good time and learn about what really happened.

Appreciate Sportera's photos. He's done a great job.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    To those thinking of coming here, please do. NOLA's insustry has become the buissiness of its own reconstruction. We need the tourist dollars that we used to get before the storm to flow again. Many of us fear the day when the contractors and FEMA, SBA, etc leave our hotels, what then. Who will fill the resteraunts, ride in cabs, go to the Quater.

We need you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Appreciate Sportera's photos. He's done a great job.

tim in san jose
    I have and still do have a great appreciation for the work Sam is doing.

Thank you for the input, guys! I think it's time to make some reservations.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin