Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,921   Posts: 1,556,588   Online: 1207

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Sam Portera on "Katrina Fatigue"

I heard an interesting term on CNN last week and now on the news today. "Katrina Fatigue". Emails and emails from people to the news stations requesting no more Katrina coverage. They say enough already and if this had happened in (fill in the blank) they would have moved on by now. The country is sick of it.

Let me just say its not for a lack of trying. Our home looks the same as it day the day the water left. We have filled all the paper work out, waiting for SBA, or the FEMA flood elevations that took them 7 months to put out. Still a the answer to the questions that we all need answered:

Will the levees protect us? Maybe, In ten years a definite maybe.

Do we have to raise our homes to be get flood insurance? Well we recomend that you raise your home 3 feet and since its on a slab the cost will be $50-100 thousand dollars (for a house you payed less than $100,000. and no flood insurance policies are being written now. maybe in the future you can get flood insurance.

What about the job market will it come back? Maybe if we get mayor x in office, until then there are plenty of jobs in debris removal and mold remidiation.

What about federal and state assistance? What? I'm sorry did you say something?

What about your insurance didn't you get money from your house? Oh yes, about half what we should have and the mortgage company took that.

Why would anyone in there right mind want to rebuild with assurances that a. There will be levees that actually protect us b. we have to raise our homes to maybe get flood insurance. and c. no jobs at least in my field.

If anyone has the right to have "Katrina Fatigue" its us, we are still living it.

How do you feel about it?

I suspect most that are sick of the coverage have no idea of just how bad it is down here. Do you know how sad it is to have your kids birthday in a FEMA trailer? Do you know how sad it is to own only what can fit in your trunk? Do you know how it feels to have an entire communtiy ripped from you? Your job? Your friends and family?

I say to those who are sick of it to come here. Give me a call I'll show you what your not seeing on TV. I'll show how people are living here in hell.

Understand that I have received nothing but kindness from the good people here. I just wanted to rant and clear some thing up a bit.

June is getting very near and we are not the least bit ready.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am sure there is much hardship in the aftermath of Katrina. There is also much hardship in Kashmir where hundreds of thousands are still in temporary shelter following last October's quake there. People are still rebuilding 16 months after the Indian Ocean Tsunami. Both the latter disappeared from news coverage fairly quickly.
    So much has happened worldwide in the past 18 months or so that 'compassion fatigue' is no surprise.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No problem with your little rant, Sam. I have always liked your coverage in the galleries ot the Katrina disaster.
    It keeps us help remembering how tiny we are in relation to natures' forces.

People get bored quickly: Irak, Tsunami, Katrina... always waiting for the next big thing to happen. The ones that got hit by a previous disaster tendto be forgotten too quickly but they are stuck to it for the rest of their lives.

G

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Kashmir, Iraq, Indonesia. i am not down playing those horrible stories, but to voice out that your sick of anyone of these topics is simply wrong. yes so much has happened and will continue to happen, but do we limit the time we cover any of these disasters like a feature film.

There is so definite ending, just endless stories, all of wich deserve our attention.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A significant chunk of the population is pretty self-centered, so the fact that some are complaining about the continued Katrina coverage isn't too surprising. Obviously, they aren't getting the message that a lot still needs to be done.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Unfortunately, the TV stations will listen to the 'Katrina Fatigue Victims'.

TV is all about filling space between commercials (edit-added later) and getting as many viewers to stay so they can charge as much as they can for each 30 seconds of advertising.

Murray

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportera
    How do you feel about it?
    If no one is complaining about the perpetual coverage, sustained purely by speculation and imagination, of the poor girl that disappeared in in Aruba last year, let me be the first.

The ongoing tragedy and recovery in the aftermath of Katrina should be of as vital importance and interest to every American as the initial preparation and response. Now that we all know what to expect of our government in the event of a natural or man-made disaster in our own cities and towns, we should be interested to see how the aftermath is being handled.

My deepest hope is that after the upcoming hurricane season, we will still be discussing Katrina and the recovery and not some new terrible catastrophy in N.O. or anywhere else.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Flotsam you are correct, if this was the litmus test for disaster recovery, we failed at every level. Whats worse is that we continue to fail, day after day.

I have said it before, I sincerally hope that none of you are ever in a situation where you need help from your government. It just never comes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am appalled by the lack of information and news I get here in NM about NO and the rest of the region that got slammed.

I have to go to www.nola.com to get my info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    katrina fatigue ?

seems more like add.
    most people seem to have the attention-span of a fish.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin