Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,258   Online: 990

Thread: Charles Sheeler

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Charles Sheeler

Interesting article in the Washington Post today.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...050500384.html

(You may need to "register" - sorry.)

"Every last move an artist makes -- every last move -- has social and political implications."

Hmm ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for posting this.

Sheeler used to photograph, then would overlay several negatives in an interesting way, and then paint based on that image. An interesting example of this is his painting "Lunenburg", where he has overlapped a barn and silo. The photos he used of each structure separately still exist...

That particular picture is of interest to me, because I drive past the barn (Sheeler photographed it in 1953) each day as I return from work. (At least I *think* it's the barn.) Sheeler was in Lunenburg, Massachusetts because that's where his patron William Lane lived.

I like his photographs much more than his paintings, though Ansel Adams thought more highly of him as a painter than a photographer (just read this in AA's autobiography).

Finally, if you want to see the Strand-Sheeler collaboration "Manhatta", it's on the DVD "Under the Dark Cloth" about Paul Strand.
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin