Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,867   Online: 881

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Famous Photographers' Quotes

I read these today in the latest issue of the Arizona Highways. I thought I'd share them with you...

“The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.” – Dorothea Lange

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” – Henri Cartier-Bresson

“Which of the photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow.” – Imogen Cunningham

“There is a vast difference between taking a picture and making a photograph.” – Robert Heinecken

“Now, to consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravity before going for a walk.” - Edward Weston

“Film is cheaper than opportunity.” - Steve Silberman

“I find the single most valuable tool in the darkroom is my trash can.” – John Sexton

“I see something special and show it to the camera. The moment is held until someone sees it. Then it is theirs.” – Sam Abell

“Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer, and often the supreme disappointment.” - Ansel Adams

“I think all art is about control, the encounter between control and uncontrollable.” – Richard Avedon

“Maybe the judgment of whether something is art or not should come from the viewer and not the doer.” – Alan Babbitt

“Hardening of the categories causes art disease.” - W. Eugene Smith

“If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn’t need to lug around a camera.” – Lewis Hine

“Light glorifies everything. It transforms and ennobles the most commonplace and ordinary subjects. The object is nothing, light is everything.” – Leonard Missone

“The sheer ease with which we can produce a superficial image often leads to creative disaster.” – Ansel Adams

“If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you’re not out there, you’ll only hear about it.” – Jay Maisel

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "The discovery I announce to the public is one of the small number which, by their principles, their results, and the beneficial influence which they exert upon the arts, are counted among the most useful and extraordinary inventions." Louis Jacques Mandé Daguerre

"It was during these thoughts that the idea occurred to me... how charming it would be if it were possible to cause these natural images to imprint themselves durably, and to remain fixed upon the paper" - William Henry Fox Talbot,

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough," - Robert Capa

and of course this http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-136.html one

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (Lewis Carroll) greeting the introduction of commercial plates and the subsequent demise of wet-plate collodion:

"Somebody Let the rabble in". -

Also, something to which I think we should all aspire:

"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop".

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mitica100
    “Maybe the judgment of whether something is art or not should come from the viewer and not the doer.” – Alan Babbitt

“Hardening of the categories causes art disease.” - W. Eugene Smith
    Best little nuggets I've read all day!

Murray

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    "Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer, and often the supreme disappointment"
    i love that one!!! so true ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mitica100
    “Light glorifies everything. It transforms and ennobles the most commonplace and ordinary subjects. The object is nothing, light is everything.” – Leonard Missone
    [/I]
    This one is my favorite.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I once read something to the effect of . . . 'Photography is not only an outlet for our own creativity, it is also an inspiration to help foster that creativity in others.' - unknown
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "When your friends finally realize that you are a true artist, committed to making sensitive and meaningful images, they will ask you to photograph their wedding." - Ted Orland

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
    Lewis Carroll

I am at a war with the obvious - William Eggleston

You can only photograph what you feel and where you are.
    --Claire Yaffa, photographer
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    35mm
    (To a student intern) "Circle of confusion? Oh, that is the area right here around the camera."-Jason Zimmerman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin