Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,958   Posts: 1,558,090   Online: 1083

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lenswork seems like a natural for Sam's work. Although, it's preaching to the choir... I think it'd be great to see it published in a more mainstream publication, and yes, eventually a book.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just came accross this thread, I am a bit over whelmed by the comments here and a bit choked up. I thank each of you from the bottom of my heart for your kind words. In a time like this, when we have so little, its people that make the difference. Its very hard letting go, especially when something is ripped from you, a entire community. Its even harder watching others get rich on the sufferings of others.

Thank you all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When Katrina happened we in the UK saw the images that news editors felt illustrated the story that they wanted to show, and I have to say that I'm rather cynical of most of what the media choose to give us. However, I recently did a workshop in Denver Darkroom amd met a young photographer who was also a victim of Katrina and who has done similar work to Sam's although he chose to make more general images. Through Efrain's images and our conversations I got to understand a little more of how it must feel to be the victim of such a catastrophe. Then I look in the gallery today and see Sam's extremely personal images of his own nightmare that are, at the same time, some of the most beautiful images I have ever seen. Thank you Sam for sharing your pain and giving us all a vivid insight into the real meaning of personal disaster.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't add much to what has already been said. Sam has taken his personal story and that of others and shared it with us through this medium that we all love so much. The work does represent tragedy however as Les stated so eloquently, these are beautiful photographs.

Thank you Sam.

Regards,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i agree, sam's photographs are frightening and beautiful.
    i hope to buy his book when it is published

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My "favorite" is the FEMA staff car....
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sam, I also agree with all of the above. Your work should be published and I also hope to see your book on the shelves one day.
    Kindest regards,
    Nicole

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thank you one and all. Your word of encouragement keep me working.
    Some of you have hinted about the healing process, and how photography may be my healing process. Your right. Photography has helped me a great deal. The first few months I was too depressed to photograph but once I picked up the camera again I felt better, like I was doing something.

Thank you everyone, I am truly humbled by your comments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the mean time, you all have a featured member project. Might I make a nomination?

Me... No wait. Sportera's work is certainly deserving of the recognition as well as having attained the maturity to reperesent us as "Featured Member".

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportera
    Thank you one and all. Your word of encouragement keep me working.
    Some of you have hinted about the healing process, and how photography may be my healing process. Your right. Photography has helped me a great deal. The first few months I was too depressed to photograph but once I picked up the camera again I felt better, like I was doing something.

Thank you everyone, I am truly humbled by your comments.
    You're wrong. Its not "like" doing something. It IS doing something! And a pretty powerful something, judging from how I feel - and you can see I am not alone! I get to see these images, care about the events, spread the word and develop a much more educated view of the events. And I am thousands of miles away. Sure, I saw more than enough flodded this or that on CNN and other news outlets, and I could only assume how horrible it was down there, on the ground...
    But your images are different. They are alive, they are personal yet universal. They make me really shake my head and feel that "tonne of bricks" feeling that hits you when you see someone's house, someones life - just like yours, or mine - but broken, taken away...
    Perhaps I am desensitized to images of tragedy always coming into my living room through the tv screen. Perhaps. Perhaps the reporting is not up to the standards that it should be. Well, most likely. But all I know is that with TV and most (not all) print media, I had to imagine how it felt to go through this.
    And while I would never presume to know what this was and still is like - here in my cozy little dry living room - when I see your images, I feel.
    Like some above, I don't think I could afford prints at prices that would not be insulting to work of this calibre - but a book? Definitely!
    I think it would also be a wonderful vehicle for charity actions for this cause.

Great, powerful work. Then again, this is nothing new - just see my numerous comments below your gallery photos!

Peter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin