Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,596   Online: 713

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still Life

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wife does still lifes. She paints them and photographs them as well. Here's one of here most recent photographic pieces (Mamiya C220)...there'll be more to come from the local farmer's market.

I, on the other hand, can't seem to do anything nearly as competent....and boy have I tried!! There's certainly a knack to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails radishesforapugw.jpg  
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    Some of the most impressive still lives I've seen lately were taken by someone I was acquainted with in commercial and advertizing 20+ years ago. You might like them for inspiration.

http://www.johnstevenson-gallery.com...cosse_tn.html#

Lee
    An interesting side note about this portfolio is that these were all printed by Keith Taylor, an occasional poster here on APUG.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    My wife does still lifes. ....
    Woah. Great work !

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Doug

Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    I'm a novice, and am also looking for advise. I've spent days taking pictures of same subject, and always seems like room for improvement, or something not quite right. It may be the amount of control you have over all aspects of the image that makes perfection seem achievable. I use up to 3 tungsten flood lights on dimmers so I can see the light effects as I compose the image. If I had the money, I'd use Polaroid film for composing (I spend alot of time developing film during session just to see if going in right direction).
    a couple of things, striving for perfection is a noble course but if it doesn't seem to be working for you have you tried parring things back to basics and starting again. I shoot all of my work on Polaroid, the 20x24 (shells mostly) and 10x8 (Colour shells) were shot by necessity with one flash with a softbox but the rest of my work is shoot using natural day light with either a black or white card for a background and sometimes a white card on the side for fill if needed. I don't have a darkroom so shoot type 55 which does pretty much what you want, a positive for composing and an instantly developed neg for subsequently printing from.

I know flowers have been done to death but hey so have landscapes (choose your own genre) etc. I believe it is what you bring to your chosen subject that matters and not the subject itself.

Joe loved your piece about the pears

enjoy and be well

Seamus
    www.seamusryan.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin