Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,725   Posts: 1,515,038   Online: 1093

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm in.

My Crown Graphic even came from a police auction and has a close-up attachment for photographing finger prints at a crime scene! It even came with a case of #5 press bulbs...

Just call me scoop.

Frank

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Mr. Felig, we are everywhere!

Looks like we definately have the interest and beginnings of an international group,

Nice response from the Crown Graphic side of the tracts....

to be a "purist" is ones choice....the idea is "in the street press type format-wee gee era" and use sheet film---

get your technique down-do the work and share it....

flashbulbs optional (J and C has them), hats and cigars optional, darkroom in trunk of car, nice touch but also optional.

Attitude.....not optional.

Begin with what you have, Crowns, Linhof, Littman, etc. whatever. Use sheet film. As mentioned, if you can pull it off, it is quite possible you won't be quite as enthusiastic about your 35 mm "street camera"..... you will have some magnificent prints...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    OK, now I'm going to be awkward. I have seen pictures of Wee Gee, even got an idea of the kind of work he did, but are we going to do this on a specific date, and do we cover a specific subject or does it have to be something vaguely 'journalistic'?

Euan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    .. and can i use glass plates?

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlapp
    Do you have a source, or do you make them?

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr
    ROFL! I am laughing out loud just imagining what I would ever do with one of them!

My friends think I'm totally wacko using a 30yo Canon rangefinder with (>>SHOCK<<) film instead of going digital like all of the other lemmings.

The more I think of this, one place I want to shoot to try this look is at a big annual costume thing in February, and actually, I would not look out of place walking in there carrying a camera that's bigger than a toaster!

I suppose if Jackie K/O could drive one, I could to!

Oh well ... I really don't know what else I would use something like that.
    I'm pretty sure Jackie used a 2x3 - which is closer to the size of a Dagwood sandwich than a toaster. For that matter, even the 4x5 is smaller than a toaster, closed anyway. Wonder if you could toast bread with a Graflite?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eubielicious
    OK, now I'm going to be awkward. I have seen pictures of Wee Gee, even got an idea of the kind of work he did, but are we going to do this on a specific date, and do we cover a specific subject or does it have to be something vaguely 'journalistic'?

Euan
    Probably best to "do your own thing" in the street....

I was thinking of having a month say in the near future for a concentrated effort for all to collect images, and post.....present time to collect equipment and practice procedure etc...get your moves down...then you can be confidently obnoxious...it will be an awakening for some, an eye opener, probably change some careers....put some big images up on the wall and take the blame for them...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you do, I'll sacrifice one or two as well.

Slavich glass plates, from retro photographic, in my case; I don't have a hand-holdable 13x18cm camera at present.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    go for it...I just picked up an unopened box of plates....don t have a plate holder yet though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    to be a "purist" is ones choice....the idea is "in the street press type format-wee gee era" and use sheet film---
    I'd vote for the large gear only just to keep things honest. So many little differences that make it harder/easier to get certain shots.

However, if anything smaller 2x3 or larger single sheet press camera were to be used, there should be some honor system guidelines to make it as close to the experience as possible.

Things like.

- Must drop camera form face & wait X amount of second between shots. To simulate the time needed to change film, recock shutter if its not an auto, and change flashbulbs etc. Make you pick the shot.
    - No TTL focusing. Learn how far away six feet is form you, and shoot wide open to simulate shooting f/8 on 4x5.
    - Strap weights to the camera to get the bulk up standards. Don't worry, it'll help work against the shake.
    - Roll a 100 sided Die after each shot, just to make up for the much more possible, "opps, I had this open when I did that, or closed that before doing this" factor of losing a shot due to the complete lack of dummy proofing in the equipment.
    - Have a friend along constantly standing two feet in front of you asking about your gear to simulate strangers.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin