Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,564   Online: 1112

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    definitely fair use imo (as restrictive as that is, and bear in mind it's the Canadian definition of fair use that applies... or maybe the NZ one... or maybe the... :-) ) + there is the whole hotlink thing - which some love and some hate. Is it actually posting the image - or just a hot link to the image...
    Fair enough, I certainly wouldn't claim to know the ins and outs of global copyright law.

FWIW another UK-based photography forum I visit has decided not to post attachments but to link to websites when discussing other photographers' work, as certain agencies (e.g. Magnum) and photographers would not look kindly on directly reproduced images, without linking to and acknowledging the original source.
    Cate

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Fair enough, I certainly wouldn't claim to know the ins and outs of global copyright law.

FWIW another UK-based photography forum I visit has decided not to post attachments but to link to websites when discussing other photographers' work, as certain agencies (e.g. Magnum) and photographers would not look kindly on directly reproduced images, without linking to and acknowledging the original source.
    Cate
    Note that these aren't attachments though - they are, if you like, small windows to the original site (though still a grey area in many cases). Now, some people hate hot-linking, others love it - but that's another issue...!

That said, copyright isn't an absolute. It allows a creator/photographer a limited monopoly on and control of their work. There are always exceptions - which need to be exercised or they will be lost. And although Fair Use/Fair Dealing is more limited than most think, discussion and critique of a single photograph imo falls within that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    That one is well-known and I must say one of Garry's most conservative photographs — a rather indirect one at that. It would be easy to mistake it for the work of someone else of the period — unlike work that followed, say The Animals, Women Are Beautiful, or Stock Photographs. His work has been so written and written about (& for a time I idolized GW so much) that I find it hard to look at it with fresh eyes (I think in his last years he had the same problem).
    I picked that one because it was early in his career and perhaps not as recognizable to many. Even though it goes against the grain of his later work I think it is one of his best. Certainly not his "signature style" of later years.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I missed this the first go-round.

Winogrand's photographs have a lot going on in them. What I like about them is that I can find new things in them every time I go back to them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Very cool. Film noir.

Michael
    Yes.

"Get yer hat, we're goin' for a little ride....."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My first thought is that this is a very bold composition and as such is very striking. My second thought is that the composition which the photographer has imposed on the scene, while strong, is entirely artificial and virtually makes it impossible to divine what is really going on. This second thought I would find intensely irritating if I were to put this picture on my wall. Nonetheless, a very good and thought-provoking posting!

Regards,

David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin