Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,915   Posts: 1,521,765   Online: 1074

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Discussing A Winogrand Photograph

in light of the recent discussions about "mystery" photographs I thought I would post an image from a well known photographer (Gary Winogrand). Open it up for discussion as to why you like it or dislike it and your reasons why.

Personally I love Winogrand and think his images transcend the time they were made. This image is probably not one of his better known, but one of my favorites. I think it works on a lot of levels. I'll defend my ideas after a few responses.

I apologize for only having the link in the thread. Either my computer/software combo will not let me actually put the image in the thread, or I am just totally computer illiterate and can't figure out how to do it. (more the latter I am afraid) Maybe someone can tell me what i need to do to get the image in the thread itself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails winogrand_untitled_1950s.jpg  
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Did not know this image. I like it, I like it. Very cool. I see why it's one of your favorites.

It works 'cause it reaches deep into humanity. Compositionally it's wonderful too. The tension of the triangle created between the two hats and the seated man is perfect.

Love the tonal range of the light. Just the right amount of direction to the light to make the image sing, without overwhelming the content.

The upper right corner of black balances perfectly with the horizontal wall molding across the bottom of the frame. The whole image takes on a modernist structure found in paints of the time.

This image could hang on my wall any time. Don't think I'd grow tired of it.

It has mystery!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great image! I'm also a fan of Winogrand. His street work is an amazing record of the human condition captured with a great sense of humor. Thanks for the link, I haven't really looked at his work in awhile!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Winogrand

Just saw some Winogrand's up close and personal at the Lowe Museum in Miami. I like the picture you posted more than the 10 or so that I saw. Again the use of light and the compositional factor.....
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the little details like the light band on the hat hanging and just the hint of a black band on the man standing. While the two could be friends having a nice chat, the expression on the face of the man sitting makes me almost afraid to see the face of the man standing. (somewhat menacing I imagine)
    The hat on the post almost seems like a sign of surrender, maybe a metaphor for someone's head on a pike. I think if I was a mean SOB of a boss I might have a large print of this hanging on the wall of my office. It's an image I can go back to over and over again and get pleasure from trying to decode it.

As pinhole master pointed out there is a wonderful flow to the image due to the compositional triangle he pointed out- big man's posture and stare to sitting man to hat and back over.

For me the hats are the key to the image. While the hats obviously date the image as pre- 70s, the strength of the composition and subject keeps the image fresh and relevant (IMHO) 50 years later.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love this, and it definitely makes me want to look at more of his work - I know his work a bit but not too much.

Funny about the hats - ones in that style are quite fashionable around here now - you can get nice panamas in marks and spencer...

Just a suggestion on posting other photographers' images - It might be better to post a link to an operating website, or else you're in danger of breaching copyright.

Cate

Very cool. Film noir.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Just a suggestion on posting other photographers' images - It might be better to post a link to an operating website, or else you're in danger of breaching copyright.

Cate
    definitely fair use imo (as restrictive as that is, and bear in mind it's the Canadian definition of fair use that applies... or maybe the NZ one... or maybe the... :-) ) + there is the whole hotlink thing - which some love and some hate. Is it actually posting the image - or just a hot link to the image...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That one is well-known and I must say one of Garry's most conservative photographs — a rather indirect one at that. It would be easy to mistake it for the work of someone else of the period — unlike work that followed, say The Animals, Women Are Beautiful, or Stock Photographs. His work has been so written and written about (& for a time I idolized GW so much) that I find it hard to look at it with fresh eyes (I think in his last years he had the same problem).

(Oslo, 2006)

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin