Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,906   Posts: 1,521,418   Online: 1007

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    I sometimes think that it is the seeming insignificant aspects that bring an image together... I think that the line in the lower right hand corner plays a vital part in this image. In my opinion, I balances the image.

The other thing that adds to this image is the distant fence posts on the right hand side of this image. It adds the aspect of distant space to the composition.

I agree that this is a great photograph and everything that others have said is certainly valid.
    I have noticed that line also, looks like a tractor tire path. It does help to hold that corner together and if taken along with the wires and fence in the middle left and the shadowed pole, adds a nice repetition and framing for the field.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Given Minor's Catholic/religious inclinations, wonder if its the shadow of the 20th century version of the cross.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    I have noticed that line also, looks like a tractor tire path. It does help to hold that corner together and if taken along with the wires and fence in the middle left and the shadowed pole, adds a nice repetition and framing for the field.
    The other thing that I noticed about this image is that if one takes and follows the line of the left hand fence through the buildings and the line of the shadow, they both impart a triangulation with it's apex terminating in the buildings but continuing on toward the distant right hand fence posts and low clouds. The use of lines plays a vital part in this image.

This image has foreground (field) midground (barns) and deep space (distant fence posts and low clouds)
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Ok. Ok. If you really want to get all artsy fartsy philosophical about the whole thing here is what it means.

The barns and open space (fields) around the barns relate to the idyllic era of the family farm.

The ominous darkened sky foretells of unwelcomed change and warns of danger.

The phallic telephone pole juxtaposing into the scene demonstrates the encroachment of technology and progress that will soon change this lifestyle forever.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Ok. Ok. If you really want to get all artsy fartsy philosophical about the whole thing here is what it means.

The barns and open space (fields) around the barns relate to the idyllic era of the family farm.

The ominous darkened sky foretells of unwelcomed change and warns of danger.

The phallic telephone pole juxtaposing into the scene demonstrates the encroachment of technology and progress that will soon change this lifestyle forever.

Michael

O.K. Michael, approaching this from your orientation, I think that this image was an outgrowth of a bad sexual experience the evening before. The shadow of the pole indicates that while the artist may have dreamt of being heavily endowed it was only a shadow of his psyche and not evidenced in reality. The barns are representive of the sexual recepticles that he wished to experience...unfortunately reality was not such. The evidence of sexual frustration is rife in this image.

Clearly a freudian complex.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Michael,

You may have said that in jest, but the way I see the phone pole has changed. I get a strong Sword of Damocles feel from it now. I had never considered that before you mentioned it...

- Randy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    Given Minor's Catholic/religious inclinations, wonder if its the shadow of the 20th century version of the cross.
    great concept there, good eye!
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always liked this photograph, but recently heard that it was made on IR film. When I found that out, I was disappointed. If it had been photoshopped...I'd probably dismiss it altogether. Just to be consistant though, I feel the same way about 'implants'
    John Voss

My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    The shadow of the pole indicates that while the artist may have dreamt of being heavily endowed it was only a shadow of his psyche .......
    Yeah but check out those french ticklers on the end. It all about the sides.....

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Yeah but check out those french ticklers on the end. It all about the sides.....

Michael

Good point...our minds run in the same rut...LOL

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin