Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,774   Posts: 1,516,648   Online: 1149

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I find it boring. There is nothing to anchor the image, and there is nothing about the barns themselves to catch and hold my attention. This images only saving grace is the shadow of the telephone pole.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    I've always liked this photograph, but recently heard that it was made on IR film. When I found that out, I was disappointed. If it had been photoshopped...I'd probably dismiss it altogether. Just to be consistant though, I feel the same way about 'implants'
    What's wrong with IR film?

Is obvious that is IR film, you don't have to think to much about it. The small sprouts of whatever is growing in the field are that white because the great reflection of IR light, and the sky is that dark for the same opposite reason, I mean, the lack of IR light. That may be the explanation for the missing utility lines.
    Jose A. Martinez

Images
    I don't know what his concept was, but I think the image failed. Too "busy," too "geometric." Almost like it was made to show how to follow all the rules of composition and still have a bland result.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found it boring too. With the IR film it's an easy shot. Minor White have a long way better images.
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose A Martinez

There isn't anything 'wrong' with IR film. It's just that similar values to those in this picture could have been found with regular film and filters, but with far greater difficulty. For me, IR is often a bit of a cheat....scenes that are really not very interesting are made somewhat less so using it. Just my bias, but it's a very rare IR 'graph that impresses me.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    I find it boring. There is nothing to anchor the image, and there is nothing about the barns themselves to catch and hold my attention.

Is this not what they call ADD photography? The curse of the modern world (and the domain of digital)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The first thing I thought was that the shadow of the telegraph pole and the sky gives quite an apocalyptic feel to the scene. The barns seem vulnerable.

The possible religious connection is interesting -

So, did he "clone out" his own shadow?

Cate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose A Martinez

Is obvious that is IR film, you don't have to think to much about it. The small sprouts of whatever is growing in the field are that white because the great reflection of IR light, and the sky is that dark for the same opposite reason, I mean, the lack of IR light. That may be the explanation for the missing utility lines.
    This picture is featured in the Infrared Photography Handbook by Laurie White which is a great infrared resource.

It seems obviously infrared to me, but that is the first place I ever saw it.

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The shadow of the telegraph pole has a vague threatening aspect and this is what prevents this photo being boring. We are waiting for what is to happen next. The shadow also contributes a 3D look.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A nice picture. One that bears a second or third look. For all it's simplicity, it seems a complex structure. It has some depth [for me - I can only speak for me].
    It may have been a 'snap' but that snap has been well captured which makes me wonder.....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin