Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,144   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Discuss a Minor White Photograph

Last week I posted a link to a Gary Winogard photo and invited discussion. This week I thought I would link to one of my favorite Minor White images.

Two Barns and Shadow, in the Vicinity of Naples and Dansville, New York
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails white_shadow.jpg  
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Great! I feel it's the shadow of the telegraph pole that takes the picture into another dimension. Abstract landscape at its best!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David,

I don't know if I would term it Abstract Landscape so much as using the telephone/telegraph poll shadow as a lead in line that fills an empty space in the image. Wonderful use of line in a superbly lit and composed image.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

As David just said, the telephone pole makes the image for me, but without it, the picture is a very competent landscape without much appeal to me.

What saddens me about this picture, even though there is "darkroom work" here, is that I know (or think I know) the author "stumbled" upon this scene and captured it.

What saddens me is that any never version of this type of scene will have been (probably) photoshopped to add in the telephone pole.

What I'm trying to say is my innocence is lost. Now every "great" picture I see, I automatically think it was photoshopped together.

This is not an anti digital rant, just the sad fact that digital has made it so easy to add and subtract elements that pictures like this in the future will hold no awe.

I know, someone will add, yeah but they could have added the pole in the darkroom. Well my answer is that I've mucked about in the darkroom for a long time and I couldn't do it, but I've messed around with photoshop for less than month and I could do it there.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Well - Strand removed manhole covers etc (or was it added them?) to improve images - may not have been so easy (just needed a skilled retoucher), but it's not exactly new

(BTW - my feeling is that most these days would use PS to remove the telegraph pole?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the sky and how it swirls around the top of the barns as well as the way the very dark roofs contrast with the light, almost white doors. Th shadow also gives a clue to the time of day (early morning or late afternoon) and the field looks like late fall or winter.

I also like how the lightness of the sky conterbalances the bleakness and desolation of the shadow and field.

White was a proponent of images having meanings beyond what was readily apparent on the surface of the print. I never have been able to dechiper this one.
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    (BTW - my feeling is that most these days would use PS to remove the telegraph pole?)
    I would tend to agree with you there because I don't think most people these days have the artistic background to understand it's value. If it were included it would be by accident, and someone would surely say something about cloning it out to make the picture 'better'.

I would also add that I too have the problem that Blansky stated - my default reaction is to wonder how much work was done on the image. I understand that altering negatives was done in the past, but is seems pervasive these days where in the past it was done mostly due to necessity - and even then, it required craftsmanship...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    Well - Strand removed manhole covers etc (or was it added them?) to improve images - may not have been so easy (just needed a skilled retoucher), but it's not exactly new

I guess I never noticed it before, but there are no lines attached to the utility pole or else they are to thin to show against the field. I guess any good photoshoper would remove the utility lines that can ber seen on the middle left of the image.
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    I sometimes think that it is the seeming insignificant aspects that bring an image together... I think that the line in the lower right hand corner plays a vital part in this image. In my opinion, it balances the image.

The other thing that adds to this image is the distant fence posts and low clouds on the right hand side of this image. These impart the aspect of distant space to the composition.

I agree that this is a great photograph and everything that others have said is certainly valid.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What appeals to me is the simplicity of the image: there are repeating shapes in the barn doors, and the tonal values give a strong sense of depth, which is augmented by the leading line of the poles' shadow. The clouds present a nice circular movement and keep my eye from going off the top of the picture. I don't get any specific meaning out of it though, other than the sensation of a simpler lifestyle.

- Randy

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin