Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,342   Online: 1174

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Whatever happend to John Max?

He might be obscure now, but in the 60s and the 70s, he was one of Canada's most important art photographer, worked at the NFB stills department during its heydays, went to Japan on a grant, was buddy with Leonard Cohen, but the last I've seen of him was the fact that he was going to be evicted from his flat in 2003. It seems as if he may have experienced some mental illness, and his life gradually collapsed.

Here's a gallery online that was representing him in some official way, it seems, but they haven't updated much since 2004 :

http://www.netspaceproject.com/john-max/index.html
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    He formed a rap group and has been using the stagename Tmax. Sorry the devil made me do it.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    He formed a rap group and has been using the stagename Tmax. Sorry the devil made me do it.
    The lead singer was called rodinal
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    He married Sara Min and they now have a bunch of max-mins.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You silly geese... Anybody checked his pictures, at least?

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv
    You silly geese... Anybody checked his pictures, at least?
    Write him and ask him how he is doing - [color=#0000ff]john-max@netspaceproject.com[/color].

Here is a web page about him: http://cybermuse.gallery.ca/cybermus...Max_text_e.jsp

BTW, I looked at his work, and I'm sorry I did. Not my cup of tea, to put it mildly.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert, not to break it to you, but that link you send me it was in my first post... Thanks for the effort anyway. And I already sent them a request about him.

My APUG Portfolio

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin