Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,289   Posts: 1,535,369   Online: 804

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I did come across two young art student ladies the other day who were quite taken with his "stallion" photo...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Ok , I will bite.

My favorite Witkin image is the man on the balancing beam with a rope tied to his testicles and connected via a pulley to a set of dumbell weights hanging just five feet above his head.

the humour of which would be more excrutiating , torn testicals or smashed head is fantastic.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bob, you're a sick, sick man....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dont understand some of the comments in this thread.. Maybe it is an inside joke?

His work seems perfectly valid and worth discussion to me..

I will post a photograph of his that I think is worth discussion..

there is nudity..

I apologize is this is not wanted..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails witkin.jpg  
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Colley
    I dont understand some of the comments in this thread.. Maybe it is an inside joke?

His work seems perfectly valid and worth discussion to me..

I will post a photograph of his that I think is worth discussion..

there is nudity..

I apologize is this is not wanted..
    Could you explain briefly what expressive power there is in dismembered corpses? I grew up as a small child seeing pictures like this in the newspapers - they were of Nazi concentration camps. This more than satisifed any desire I have to view this kind of thing. Sorry, but people who make these images are just sick sensationalists, out to shock at any price because they have nothing else to say.

Images
    Explain to me what the artistic value of a mutilated human body is. Kind of like calling a slasher film quality cinema. Just doesn't hold water.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    Could you explain briefly what expressive power there is in dismembered corpses? I grew up as a small child seeing pictures like this in the newspapers - they were of Nazi concentration camps. This more than satisifed any desire I have to view this kind of thing. Sorry, but people who make these images are just sick sensationalists, out to shock at any price because they have nothing else to say.
    The same power that is in a living person. Looking at the two responses to the photograph, maybe more expressive power.

It doesnt seem to me that once a being is dead that there is nothing left to express..

I don't think MR. Witkin killed this individual.... I've seen many of the photographs from those camps and I see no correlation between the two.

You need not apologize to me, I did not create the photograph.
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Explain to me what the artistic value of a mutilated human body is. Kind of like calling a slasher film quality cinema. Just doesn't hold water.

To me, this photographs value is in how strongly it seems to show the feeling of being alive.. See the attached crop.

The first time I saw this photograph my initial response came before seeing 100% of it, the part that shows where the cut had been made. I saw the image as cropped and was struck by the smoothness of the skin that seemed to match the stark table and background in terms of mood. Beuatiful tones.

I am very interested in how this person still feels alive, if the image had been cropped as I have cropped it originally it would be difficult for me to realize the person had been dead for some time.

I see the beauty of what it is to be alive, a figure posed in a way that makes me feel as if someone is just relaxing. I do not see a formeraly suffering dismembered victim of a concentration camp.. I see the opposite.. Instead of disrespect for life I see a legitimate affirmation of what photography can do to alter perspective. Whereas if I might have been in the room with the man on the table I might been worrying about the various smells that go along with it (I have been in a morgue and dealt with the dead after an autopsy), as well as the general feeling I get when in a room with a dead person. Here, I feel a tremendous respect for the person on the table and the way the photographer has presented them in a way that makes my mind completely void of feelings of death and dismembermend but thinking mostly of how being "alive" really looks, and how fleating life can be.. I see the beauty of life.. A sense of spirit in the individual, that something 'alive' is still there.. I credit the photographer with being able to do this as in my experiences with the dead there was never a time when I got the feelings I do when seeing this photograph.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails witkincrop.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of my career has been as a scenes of crime officer and a forensics investigator, so it is a bit too much like work for me.

But I can see the value of the work in today's society, especially when we sanitize death so much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Colley
    It doesnt seem to me that once a being is dead that there is nothing left to express..
    Hmmm ....difficult.

It's not 'the being' who's doing the expressing though - the rather nonchalant crossing of feet when, really, that's more or less all you can do when all you have left is feet and legs...and a useless appendage...

It's not 'him' though, he's dead, (if it is indeed a real corpse, I don't know the details)..No need to ask consent, then, no need to consider the individual...do these kind of considerations disappear after death, I wonder?

It's not the dead 'being' who's doing the expressing, it's the photographer, expressing his own fears, confronting his own devils, possibly wanting to foist them upon us....the 'legs' (etc.) are just props. Propping up his own ideas.

So - I wonder - is it acceptable to reduce dead people to the level of props?

Is what he has to say - whatever it is - worth it? If the answer is 'no' then I think in this case his transgression (transgressing itself is not necessarily a bad thing) is unnacceptable.

Cate

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin