Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,943   Posts: 1,585,769   Online: 1132

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    You seem to have a very rigid view of what is 'acceptable'. What do you think of the idea that, perhaps, different techniques suit different 'visions'? Do you feel that photography should 'depict' rather than 'express'? Can you flesh out your reasons for this statement?
    I didn't say anything about what I view as 'acceptable'. I find Witkin quite acceptable, but don't think that he's a particularly accomplished craftsman. I submit that his work would be perceived as far more over the top if the tableaux were photographed and printed by an acknowledged master of gelatin silver black and white photography, such as Michael Smith. Why, the man would be jailed before the prints were dry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    I didn't say anything about what I view as 'acceptable'. I find Witkin quite acceptable, but don't think that he's a particularly accomplished craftsman. I submit that his work would be perceived as far more over the top if the tableaux were photographed and printed by an acknowledged master of gelatin silver black and white photography, such as Michael Smith. Why, the man would be jailed before the prints were dry.
    What do you think of Bill Brandt's prints?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love Witkins work. I'm fascinated by the spirituality at its core. If I would collect photography and live with it on my walls, I'd have Witkin at or near the top of my list -even though it's not 'easy on the eyes' in certain ways. I think people might do well to try to get beyond any shock value the images may have and read some criticism of his work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    What do you think of Bill Brandt's prints?
    The last ones I saw, about 3 months ago, were magnificent. What does that have to do with Witkin? His prints are not nearly as good as the Bill Brandt prints I've seen.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenS
    If I would collect photography and live with it on my walls, I'd have Witkin at or near the top of my list
    Your dinner parties certainly wouldn't lack for topics of conversation then, would they?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The last ones I saw, about 3 months ago, were magnificent. What does that have to do with Witkin? His prints are not nearly as good as the Bill Brandt prints I've seen.
    No - I was just trying to (literally!) tie threads together - with all the azo/contact print/fine print oriented snobbery/insecurity going around these days (which is NOT to say that I wouldn't try azo - hell, why not!) I would assume most advocates would look down their noses at prints lacking shadow detail. Hey, there's no accounting for taste, right?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Your dinner parties certainly wouldn't lack for topics of conversation then, would they?
    But would anyone eat anything? And keep it down if they did?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenS
    I love Witkins work. I'm fascinated by the spirituality at its core. If I would collect photography and live with it on my walls, I'd have Witkin at or near the top of my list -even though it's not 'easy on the eyes' in certain ways. I think people might do well to try to get beyond any shock value the images may have and read some criticism of his work.
    You could argue that Witkin has made the artistic choice to present his ideas in a sensational way. Therefore he bears the responsibility of how they are perceived.

More is coming back to me now about the dubious ways in which he obtained his body parts, thanks to allusions on the thread. This, together with the fact that I have read something about him (years ago, which I admit I then forgot, and just now) means that I have looked below the surface of the sensationalism of the image and even his methods (though can you, in fact, do that? does that mean that morality is not important in art?) I see an image that is, in fact, fairly banal.

But in any case appreciating art is about considering all levels - intent, approach and methodology, as well as result.

I cannot personally see spirituality in this one. Not my idea of sprirituality, anyway (and this will vary from culture to culture, it is not unique).

I don't make this judgement about all of his work - all my comments have been about this particular photograph. Whilst I wouldn't choose to have his pictures on my walls, I can appreciate others (although they don't do a lot for me) or at least I do not object to them.
    Cate
    Last edited by catem; 08-21-2006 at 09:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin