Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,292   Online: 903

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok I'm diggin here.
    I mean what about his concepts? Just generally his contemporary approach to architecture? The postmodernist topography? ...
    Last edited by John McCallum; 08-22-2006 at 12:05 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Ok I'm diggin here.
    I mean what about his concepts? Just generally his contemporary approach to architecture? The postmodernist typology? ...
    well, I was thinking it'd be more along the line of social critique than that. I don't suppose it would be fair to try to transmogrify his 'concepts' into words - since they are visual. Why don't you ask him?

Postmodern 'typology'? Do you mean to say postmodern 'type'? (i understand what 'typology' means - I just didn't think it made sense in that context). I wouldn't consider his work 'postmodern' at all. I'd lump it in more with the Smithsons and the Ruschas and the Bill Owens' (bit of a stretch there) maybe...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Miss-spelt, meant topography.

I wouldn't consider his work 'postmodern' at all.
    Interesting.

Thank you for the suggestion to ask him. I will be. First I wished to find more about him from those with personal experience or a particular interest in his work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... uhhh... sounds good. (?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi John

I have seen some of his prints, can´t quite remeber where but think it was in NY or at the Tate a few years ago. His concepts and expression are very strong which I feel is a good combination. I think he is/was a strong influence on Wayne Barrar, along with others in the Altered Landscape school. Peter Blacks series on new houses in Wellington from a few years back shows a similar influence.

Like Sparky I like him. Whish I was half as good...

If you like this sort of work then a trip to Nevada might be in order to view the "Altered Landscape" collection in the Nevada Musem of Arts Collection. There is also a very good book by the same titile you can get, try Unity, they might have a copy.

Actually, come to think of it, it might even have seen some in Wanganui. There was an Altered Landscape show on there a few years back with some Robert Adams and Lewis Baltz prints in it.
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi John,

thanks for posting. In fact, without knowing of Baltz and his type op photography, I am currently working on a series of wallscapes.
    I thought I was being original... not, snif.

Greetings,
    G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by argus
    Hi John,

thanks for posting. In fact, without knowing of Baltz and his type op photography, I am currently working on a series of wallscapes.
    I thought I was being original... not, snif.

Greetings,
    G
    Don't worry about it. Yours would be QUITE different, I'm sure. Here's one of mine.
    Last edited by Sparky; 01-23-2008 at 01:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by livemoa
    Hi John

I have seen some of his prints, can´t quite remeber where but think it was in NY or at the Tate a few years ago. His concepts and expression are very strong which I feel is a good combination. I think he is/was a strong influence on Wayne Barrar, along with others in the Altered Landscape school. Peter Blacks series on new houses in Wellington from a few years back shows a similar influence.

Like Sparky I like him. Whish I was half as good...

If you like this sort of work then a trip to Nevada might be in order to view the "Altered Landscape" collection in the Nevada Musem of Arts Collection. There is also a very good book by the same titile you can get, try Unity, they might have a copy.

Actually, come to think of it, it might even have seen some in Wanganui. There was an Altered Landscape show on there a few years back with some Robert Adams and Lewis Baltz prints in it.
    Hi David, glad you saw the thread. Yes the influence on Wayne Barrar is pretty evident isn't it. I've wondered about Mark Adams perhaps also...

Guess you're talking about McNamara's in Wanganui?

Actually you may be interested; Baltz will be showing an exhibition and holding a 'master class' in Auckland with Harvey Benge at the end of the year. Would be good if you were in town!
    Thanks for the tip on Unity Books.

Cheers John.

Argus. I'm afraid to say he wasn't the only one either!
    Last edited by John McCallum; 08-23-2006 at 03:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Argus. I'm afraid to say he wasn't the only one either!
    Thanks, John.

I had a closer look to the pictures of Baltz you presented us here and luckily I can distinguish myself from being merely a copycat

What I am trying to achieve is to isolate pure texture and geometry of industrial walls. Pointing to their imperfections and to the other side, the contrast between human made form and the influence of nature on it.
    I photograph them only in overcast weather to eliminate all sense of three-dimensional impression (i.e. cast shadows).

In the example of mine, attached here as a mediocre scan of a work print, I am still wondering if I should crop off the bottom or not.

Greetings,
    G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wallscape-01.jpg  
    Last edited by argus; 08-22-2006 at 05:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: darn spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it works better with the base. J.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin