Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,635   Online: 782

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After much searching I have found the photograph I was referring to.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I really thought that the photo taken by (a photographer named Franklin???) who worked for (a new Jersey newspaper?) of 3 firefighters raising a flag on a pole left in the debris would be the icon. In fact I (wrongly) predicted it would win a Pulitzer. For obvious reasons, it is the one that strikes a major chord with people in my profession.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    To be frank about it - I am a 9/11 survivor. I was lucky enough to have been stopped at the corner of Church & Fulton Sts. waiting for the light to change when the first plane hit.

Over the course of the immediate attack, and for about an hour afterward, I saw first hand much of what, in some form or another, became photo images in the media. Some images I would prefer to forget.

Given my closeness to the event - it is probably harder for me to discern what are the iconic images than those more distant from the attack. Obviously, the "Iwo-like" image of the firemen raising the flag in the rubble sticks with many of us - but it is derivative.

There are images I remember from the NY Times (some quite disturbing) that may or may not be iconic.

I guess I am very curious. Which images are seen iconic (if any) by people not present that day in that they universally conveyed the sense of horror and tragedy?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham

I guess I am very curious. Which images are seen iconic (if any) by people not present that day in that they universally conveyed the sense of horror and tragedy?
    There was an image which apeared in a couple of papers but was pulled in later editions. The falling man. It conveys everything about 9/11, the tragedy and the horror.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think Jerry Spagnoli's daguerreotype will become the iconic image amongst photographers because of its uniqueness and the fact that the invention of the daguerreotype represented a turning point in representation and culture and heralded a new age, just as 911 represents another historical turning point.

The other that sticks in my mind that the general public may remember is the video sequence shot at a very low upward angle of the guy having a casual coffee/conversation at a table with the tower being hit by the plane above him.

Joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As another 9/11 survivor ( I was in the Pentagon when the plane hit ), the one that most resonates with me and I think comes the closest is the one of the firefighters raising the flag. It has been issued on a 9/11 commemorative postage stamp, which comes as close to certifying icon status as any one action can. In some ways, actually in many ways, I'm glad there was no iconic image to emerge from the Pentagon attack. The mental images I have of that day are still rather vivid, and the whole day was just so surreal that I don't think I want anything to try and encapsulate it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    As another 9/11 survivor ( I was in the Pentagon when the plane hit ), the one that most resonates with me and I think comes the closest is the one of the firefighters raising the flag. It has been issued on a 9/11 commemorative postage stamp, which comes as close to certifying icon status as any one action can. In some ways, actually in many ways, I'm glad there was no iconic image to emerge from the Pentagon attack. The mental images I have of that day are still rather vivid, and the whole day was just so surreal that I don't think I want anything to try and encapsulate it.

Seriously? You were in the Pentagon?? No joke?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    There was an image which apeared in a couple of papers but was pulled in later editions. The falling man. It conveys everything about 9/11, the tragedy and the horror.
    Andy,

This is very similar (perhaps the same) shot to one of the ones I was thinking of - one that is much more unsettling (and less uplifting) that the "Iwo-like" shot.

The one I remember was on the front page of the NY Times on 9/12. It could be the same shot - or from the same "series". The one in the newspaper was more "zoomed in" and in B&W. Also, as I recall, the victim was in a somewhat more fetal position. In fact, to those of us who worked there, he resembled nothing so much as one of us plummeting to the earth as if still seated in our office chairs - but alone and upside down!

The image that more sears in my mind was one I witnessed that was also captured by a photog and became the name of a short-lived theater drama. It was one of two women who "strengthened" their resolve to jump to death by holding hands. It is known as "Falling Angels" - apparently based on what a teacher in nearby Tribeca told a child witness she was seeing in order to calm her from what was really happening.

Truth be told, I worked in 6WTC which was one of the "low" buildings that surrounded the Towers. As I said, I was standing across the street from the WTC complex waiting for the stop light to change when the first plane hit 1WTC. Those of my co-workers who had already arrived in the office all escaped safely, thank goodness.

[Oh, BTW, I think the JBrunner post was friggin' insensitive. Glib remarks on the eve of the 5th anniversary - when we should remember the 2300 dead - are stupid! While I might otherwise agree with Brenner's politics - his remarks serve only to advance those politicians who "use" 9/11/01 for nefarious reasons. He owes all of us an apology for saying what he did!]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He owes all of us an apology for saying what he did!]
    How do you figure that, George? I thought he dealt with things VERY sensitively. I think he addressed the issue already - or did I just imagine that-?

Were you right beside 7 when they pulled it's structure? That would have been insane to witness (well, not that 1 and 2 weren't even moreso!!). My god. The mind reels. Watching it on TV was intense enough!

Shooter
    35mm
    Andy,

[Oh, BTW, I think the JBrunner post was friggin' insensitive. Glib remarks on the eve of the 5th anniversary - when we should remember the 2300 dead - are stupid! While I might otherwise agree with Brenner's politics - his remarks serve only to advance those politicians who "use" 9/11/01 for nefarious reasons. He owes all of us an apology for saying what he did!]
    You did not read my post very thoroughly, or you misunderstood. My heart goes out to all the families. My remarks are certainly not glib. The use of the tragedy by politicos and others to undermine basic civil liberties, or any other self serving agenda is the truly offensive thing (paling besides the tragedy of course). That was my point. The historical relevance of the event will be determined by time and future events. There are many slaughters that have happened in the past 100 years that eclipse 9/11 by an incredible magnitude, yet they are not held dear by history. That does not demean the death of any person, nor does it mean that I personally am not affected in my life and time. It is unfortunate that you are offended in some way, and I hope this clears things up a little bit. As to an apology, nope sorry, that would be a self serving load of crap, and a lie too boot.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin