Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,252   Online: 820

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I want to know how Jovo became a big fiddle player.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I decided a while go that I wouldn't want to become a pro, (regardless of the fact that I don't have the ability to do so). I've come to the conclusion that no matter how much one enjoys their craft - whatever it is - it becomes a Job. A Job is something you feel you have to do to bring home the bacon and keep a roof over you & your family, whether you want to or not. I'd much rather keep snapping away as an amateur, looking forward to the day when I can kick the kids out, sell the house and spend whatever time I've got left doing what *I* want to do, mainly photography and travelling; with the odd bit of beer drinking thrown in.

I'm aware that there are some lucky people who always enjoy their work, some of them are even pro photographers, but sadly for most us it's now just a Job.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Mark,

Do you know the story of the man who got a backstage job at Le Crazy Horse (the same story used to be told of the Folies Bergere).

The first month was heaven.

The second month was hell.

After that, it was just a job.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Dear Mark,

Do you know the story of the man who got a backstage job at Le Crazy Horse (the same story used to be told of the Folies Bergere).

The first month was heaven.

The second month was hell.

After that, it was just a job.

Cheers,

Roger
    I believe this was the guy who was once talking to a friend about his job and said "The money's not much, only 50 francs a week, but it's all I can afford!"

This joke is a certified British chestnut and is at least 80 years old!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    I want to know how Jovo became a big fiddle player.

Huh? Take another look. I'm only 64 pixels high.

It's been a real treat to read these tales so far. I'm glad so many have been willing to share. I know there are more of you...let's hear your actual confessions so we can dispense with the rumors and inuendos
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    I started shooting at 11 years old and had my first darkroom at 12. To learn more I went to work for a photographer as a darkroom tech at 14. I have been working in photography full or part time ever since with one break from 93 to 98. In high school I never had to say "would you like fries with that?". It was a great job. 30+years, 50 states, 20 countries, Tens of thousands of images, 50+ cameras, two studios and four darkrooms. It's been a hell of a ride.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Hmmm Bill. If I'd known you were that famous I would have swapped a print.
    Ha!!! Just a hair on a gnat's ass. As I always say... If only the bank account matched the "fame"!!! Nothing but lucky... It's ALL about luck. You just try to put yourself in the right place and keep your eyes peeled ...and be ever grateful to those that collect your work.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't feel I can ad much here so will keep it brief. I've always had an artistic streak over many years and "Professionally" I started working as a photographer in August 2004. I woke up one day and realised I'd already already been doing what I love most and quit my day job to concentrate fully on my photography. All I can say is it's been an incredible journey and things have moved very fast for me. I'm very grateful for the opportunities that have come my way. Regardless of cliche's or opinions, my goal is to tell the child's story. But... all this comes at a price. Passion and obsession, endless hours and ongoing dedication... does take it's toll on many areas in one's life.

For a little more info I'll ad these links.

http://www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=207
    http://www.nicoleboenigmcgrade.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole
    Passion and obsession, endless hours and ongoing dedication... does take it's toll on many areas in one's life.
    Isn't that the truth? Puts a lot on hold too. 2 years Nicole? You're kicking butt!

Good job,

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    Ha!!! Just a hair on a gnat's ass. As I always say... If only the bank account matched the "fame"!!! Nothing but lucky... It's ALL about luck. You just try to put yourself in the right place and keep your eyes peeled ...and be ever grateful to those that collect your work.

Bill

Bill, I agree that luck is a factor, but it seems that those who are dedicated and put long and hard effort into their work seem to attract more luck than those who do not.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin