Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,593   Posts: 1,546,089   Online: 907

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Thanks for clearing up the source for the actors words, Bill. It makes the film even more enjoyable.
    [edit] Also, I am printing out your list of other photodocs. Thanks for posting it.

Has anyone watched the "Masters of Photography: Diane Arbus" documentary? How is it?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is also an "American Masters" DVD on Leibowitz (hey, they didn't ask ME). I have it, was a gift.

There is a Charlie Rose on HCB that's available on the web

Winogrand was on "The Creative Eye" and is on DVD at the local library but an SJSU professor has it on PERMANENT reserve and so is effectively out of reach (what's the point of that?)

There is a recent HCB doc due on DVD

The recent Eggleston doc is already on DVD

Also: "War Photographer" with Natchwey, and there's a recent HBO doc on "Death of Kevin Carter: Casualty of the Bang-Bang Club" is also starting to appear on DVD

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks, Bjorke, for reminding me....

Just watched the Charlie Rose interview with HCB. It wasn't half as annoying as I'd thought it would be, when Rose asks a somewhat inane question, he just gets a Gallic shrug. It's only awkward when there are three of those shrugs within a minute. HCB also pointed out that one of his most famous photographs of Ghandi's funeral wasn't taken by him - he handed his camera to someone with a better view.

The recent HCB doc is, I believe, "The Impassioned Eye" and it's already available on DVD. (Perhaps I'm wrong here, and you're speaking of something else.)

Watched the Eggleston documentary, the documentary itself doesn't do anything for me. (I'd like to take some of Walker Evan's late color polaroids, and some of Eggleston's shots, and see if people could guess the correct photographer as a test.)

"The War Photographer" is one of my favorite DVDs, but the subject material is very depressing. On the other hand, putting a small video camera on top of his EOS 3, and watching both the video and the resulting still photographs, was very innovative and I'd love to have it done for other photographers, particular street photographers.

Enough. If I had any talent I'd be out photographing, and not watching this stuff...
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    there are quite a few more, i will try to get together a list of what i have. another great source and this tells my age, a series of slides with voice over of the photgraphers.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    here are some more to add to the list that bill gave

Iluminations Ruth Bernhard

Kertesz master of photography series

Arbus master of photography series

Mary Ellen Mark the searching eye
    Sebastiao Salgado Looking Back at You
    Portrait of Imogen

Henri Cartier-Bresson ? (that is the name)
    America and Lewis Hine

MayRay Prophet of the Avant garde
    Tapestry of Creation the Photography of Christopher Burkett

Ernst Haas To Dream with Open Eyes
    William Albert Allard Seeing for Himself
    Sam Abell Sight and Insight
    Brian Lanker Sharing the Dream

A PBS series called American Photography a century of images

Then Lenswork has a very nice series of other photographers and they add more every year.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you Ann.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to create a new forum (or maybe an article?)
    to maintain this list of photodocs....maybe we should approach Sean about this.
    I've seen this effort (listing of documentaries) happen at least twice now....

-Bill
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Images
    Bill, I was just wishing that I had named this thread "Photographic Documentaries available on DVD" so that these great lists would be more easily found in searches. I agree that it would be nice to have them permanently available and updated.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've already made a post on the "Feedback and Discussion" forum asking that maybe a new forum should be made about this.....

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    not all of those i listed are on dvd, or at least i don't have copies in that form, i have a lot of video as i have had them for some time
    and some are not really a full blown documentary, but photographers discussing their work and style.
    Last edited by ann; 09-02-2006 at 06:25 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: additon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    Has anyone watched the "Masters of Photography: Diane Arbus" documentary? How is it?
    I have it. It's sort of interesting...you get an actress friend of hers verbally recreating her presentation - or portions of it - to one of the classes she taught, while a slideshow of her photographs is presented. This is interspersed here and there by interviews with folks from the Art world that knew and worked with her, as well as her daughter Doon (All circa 1972). Once I got over feeling kinda cheated out of hearing her own voice (the tapes they had were of very poor quality) I really appreciated hearing her thoughts about photography in general, and her own work in particular, as presented to a small group of photography students. When all is said and done I feel I learned a bunch from this rather short (less than 30 min.) film. If you're a fan or appreciator of Arbus I would have to say this is a must own, because there is damn little else available. If you're only casually interested in what she has to say then hunt around for a loaner copy.

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin