Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,489   Online: 878

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am sincerely looking forward to anything you have to say. The more people with experience to help us younger folks the better, I say.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Richard, glad to see you posting. So far learning from you the past couple of months has been invaluable to me. I hope others get as much out of your posts as I have from our conversations.

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks richard for posting your reflections.
    i looked forward to your posts 'over there'
    just as i used to look forward to john cook's posts
    about the life and times of a commercial photographer
    "back in the day" ...

best of luck!
    john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am all ears, or eyes in this case...
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Richard,
    My history in photography reads much as your own, and I welcome you to the APUG forum.

The main reason I hang out here is to offer help to those trying to find their way through the "Silver Bullets". There is much information available on the internet that is more confusing to folks than is truly answering their questions.

Again, welcome,
    Charlie...................................

I can state from direct experience that Richard Boulware is the real deal. Being fortunate enought to make the commute to his house/studio/darkroom in Denver, Richard has been most gracious with his time and vast experience over the last few years in looking over my prints and offering marvelous suggestions to improve and refine my photographic vision and technique. All of his comments have been spot on and I honestly can say that it has been both welcomed and appreciated and I feel that I am making progress to where I eventually want to be.

I would not hesitate to recommend his guidance to anyone that wants to learn and improve. Plus if you ever get to Denver, he mixes a fabulous gin and tonic.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 09-06-2006 at 05:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm quite looking forward to your stories, and possibly bugging you with questions later in the game. Very interesting so far, I think a lot of us want to get into the photography world professionally and love the idea, but dont exactly know the specifics of that idea.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Michael and John: Thanks for your kind words. John...I remember fondly the noble soul of the late John Cook, my good friend. We were of like mind and background.

I also noticed a post from a lady in Iowa. One of my most favorite places.

I think, while I am highly motivated, I will start out attempting to post something that might address the most often asked question of authors of great photographs. "What was he/she was trying to say".

For most, the answer is obvious...and that is one of the reasons it IS a great photograph. The intent and message of the photographer is clearly obvious. For those photographs who's intent is not clear....perhaps one should ask themselves if this is truly a great photograph. There is no ambiguity in great photography. Unfortunately there is a lot of photography,...with great contrast and tone control...that some people say "GEEEZE, WHAT A GREAT PICTURE"! This is a symptom of the syndrome known as "The Emperor Has No Clothes"! Unfortunately is syndrome is all to often to happen in the modern world of contemporary art, and photography.

Photographers are "story tellers"! We use visual imagery to tell a story, that we want you the audience, to know and understand. The tools we use in the medium, are composition, lighting, size, emotional content or lack thereof, etc.

Looking back at the masters like, Bert Stern, Richard Avedon Robert Capa, W. Eugene Smith, Ansel Adams....there is little to be confused about as..the meaning is clear.

When many young photographers go out to shoot....and group shoots are great for fellowship, but rarely produce meaningful images....the obvious question one photographer must ask of himself is..."What is MY viewpoint"!
    WHAT am I trying to say? Translated, that means... I, the photographer choose to make this photograph for the following reason.......XXXXX?r

Great photography is not created by imitating the work of others...it is about telling your own story, and expressing your own viewpoint. It's about you, and your own personal viewpoint...STUPID!

Do you think the world is a wonderful place. Fine,...shoot pictures to make your own, personal point. Do you think the environment is being raped for human growth. Fine....make shots that make your point.

Ever notice how many early-years photographers choose to make pictures with no people in them....like incredibly boring landscapes...even trying to imitate Ansel Adams. Is my point one that says people have to be in them?
    Heck no. We live in a human world, of both people and the effects to the natural world that people have made...for good or for ill. What do you the photographer have to say about these conditions, for good or for ill.

That is what photography is about. Telling a story. YOUR STORY, each unique...in it's own personal way.

Is your own personal story not worth the effort to make a photograph that represents your own, unique, viewpoint?

Enough of the Kodak picture sites, with yellow footprints in the terf...and tells you to place your tripod here and look West...and shoot.

Time for you, good friend, to make your own decisions and scrape off the Kodak footprints, and make new footprints of your own. Your own footprints.

Your own personal viewpoint.

Look deep within and ask yourself what you want to say. You will always get an answer...or you wouldn't have brought your camera along in the first place.

Share with us. Please! Let us know what you think and how you feel.

We are interested. TRULY, we are.!

DO IT!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Richard,

Glad to see you starting your series here on APUG. I was following it on the other website and I always found it very informative. Just like in this thread; I've learned a couple things from it already.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I posted a reply in your original notebook thread. I was rather saddened by some of the responses and how things just seemed to go downhill. I have been thinking of how I might find a way to mentor a young photography student through providing some of my old but functioning equipment. I haven't been able to come up with any ideas that would seem feasible yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin