Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,088   Online: 1230

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    Sounds like a marketing trick:
    "I am going digital but to help sell off my last of silver gelatin work I will claim that the paper is no longer made or I cannot for some reason print on other paper so those prints will also be more valuable"
    Two birds with one stone.
    Having exposure to the art world as an onlooker (wife is artist), the only way to get higher prices than even *that* would be to fake one's death.

Might want to have 2 levels of work - paper printout on a inkjet ($1k?), and "hey whaddaya know, I found some more" prints once in awhile for $2k.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Every time I open a new box of paper I up my prices.

There's extensive testing, storage issues and trying to tear the package down that perforated line, which by the way I've never been able to accomplish.

That alone, due to the mental stress, is reason enough for a price increase.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hello,

a friend sent me this link and I've been reading it with great interest. I thought I'd reply to clear up a few things.

It's true that the paper I used to print on is available again; Chemoforte went under a few years ago and I assumed they were gone forever. But since then Forteinvest Ltd. rescued the factory and brought the products back. I haven't had a chance to use the papers since I found out about the resurrection, but i hope they're the same.

In the mean time, I will absolutely change the information on my website about the papers no longer being available. It's not my intent to deceive anyone. It still stands that no more gelatin silver prints will be made of those images. The editions are closed, and for various technical reasons the editions are very small (two to ten prints).

I agree with everyone who thinks the price of the silver prints is steep. The price was set for personal reasons. I have very few of those prints, I like them very much, and I'm not interested in letting them go for less than that. If they sell, great; if not, that's ok too.

That being said, anyone who thinks they're priced out of the normal range for a living artist simply hasn't visited a gallery in New York or Chicago or San Francisco in the last ten years. $1200 is on the low end of what most major galleries are even interested in selling.

My ink prints (assuming it's not forbidden to mention them on apug) are priced much lower, to reflect the larger editions.

I'd be happy to elaborate more on why I'm printing my new work in ink, but only if people are curious. For what it's worth I'm very happy that Fortezo is back, and I hope it stays around forever.

Never apologize for your prices. If you say it's $1500 or $15,000, if you sell them that's exactly what they're worth.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Sounds just plain lazy to me.
    Robert, with all due respect, you don't have the right to make other people's business decisions for them.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format

Snotty reply by me?

Quote Originally Posted by paulr
    Hello,
    That being said, anyone who thinks they're priced out of the normal range for a living artist simply hasn't visited a gallery in New York or Chicago or San Francisco in the last ten years. $1200 is on the low end of what most major galleries are even interested in selling.
    I'd be happy to elaborate more on why I'm printing my new work in ink, but only if people are curious. For what it's worth I'm very happy that Fortezo is back, and I hope it stays around forever.
    Despite my somewhat snotty reply - I do not think that you should have to apologize for your prices as an artist - especially if you are getting the sales you believe you deserve. And pricing gallery representation and so on is a black art.

2 levels of work for sale offer a lot for customers, too, and it might spur sales of your higher level work.

And glad you aren't abandoning "proper" analog prints!
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree with everyone who thinks the price of the silver prints is steep. The price was set for personal reasons. I have very few of those prints, I like them very much, and I'm not interested in letting them go for less than that. If they sell, great; if not, that's ok too.
    I have a couple of images like that myself, and I feel the same way about them as you do. Sometimes, people forget that photographers have emotional attachments to some images.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a friend sent me this link and I've been reading it with great interest. I thought I'd reply to clear up a few things.
    One of my favorite things about the Internet is how it levels the playing field.

B

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I have a couple of images like that myself, and I feel the same way about them as you do. Sometimes, people forget that photographers have emotional attachments to some images.
    i'm always amazed that painters sell their work. I've often thought how different it would be if you could only get a single print of given image, and after selling it, never really seeing it again.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimcollum
    i'm always amazed that painters sell their work. I've often thought how different it would be if you could only get a single print of given image, and after selling it, never really seeing it again.
    Try making ambrotypes.

Joe

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin