Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,431   Online: 1016

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz
    Try making ambrotypes.

Joe
    Just looked at your work. gorgeous. do you sell it? do you have problems giving up your favorites?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jimcollum
    i'm always amazed that painters sell their work. I've often thought how different it would be if you could only get a single print of given image, and after selling it, never really seeing it again.
    My wife is an artist (mixed media, painting, plexiglass and so on) and she is VERY attached to some works - and wouldn't sell them even when offered. She said it is a bit like beloved pets or children with ones that she really connected with.

Nice thing is, that with the ones she'd part with, she was happy if they went to someone who would appreciate them.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333
    My wife is an artist (mixed media, painting, plexiglass and so on) and she is VERY attached to some works - and wouldn't sell them even when offered. She said it is a bit like beloved pets or children with ones that she really connected with.

Nice thing is, that with the ones she'd part with, she was happy if they went to someone who would appreciate them.
    You can't sell children? I'm going to have to rethink my business plan . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argus
    yeh, thanx, i already did that, wasn't particularly impressed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    You can't sell children? I'm going to have to rethink my business plan . . .
    Last time I checked that would bring out all kinds of awkward questions from law enforcement officers.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Going back to OP.

I look at it this way.

I'm Paul and I'm thinking:

"My film negatives-based, traditional handmade prints command $1200. Making those prints takes a heck of a lot of my time.

Buyers are increasingly indifferent to print quality and will pay that sum or close to it regardless.

Shooting digital and using inkjet will increase my work throughput tremendously.

So, SHOW ME THE MONEY!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good grief !

Any others out there we can mark publically as a reprobate for such decisions they make? Obviously you know how to run a business. :rolleyes:

Get a life.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    Going back to OP.

I look at it this way.

I'm Paul and I'm thinking:

"My film negatives-based, traditional handmade prints command $1200. Making those prints takes a heck of a lot of my time.

Buyers are increasingly indifferent to print quality and will pay that sum or close to it regardless.

Shooting digital and using inkjet will increase my work throughput tremendously.

So, SHOW ME THE MONEY!"
    well, I actually am Paul, and that's not quite what I'm thinking.

I don't find buyers to be increasingly indiferent to print quality, although I do find them increasingly open minded about what kinds of prints they'll consider.

And while I would like to say my prints "command" $1200, at the rate that I sell work, it would be more accurate to say that they ask for it very, very quietly.

I also have yet to own a digital camera. I don't think they're evil, but at this point in history, for what I can afford, I get much better quality from film ... from a 4x5 and a (borrowed) hasselblad, both older than I am.

I made the investment in digital printing because i was working on an artist's book project, and it seemed like the ideal medium. This was right around the time that Forte became unavailable. I was uninterested seeking out and learning a new silver paper, since in all probability it would meet the same fate ... so I took the plunge and learned to print in ink.

What keeps me printing in ink, even though my silver paper is on the market again, is that I love the prints.

Because of the book project, I've had the opportunity to reprint an entire body of work that had previously been done in silver. To my tastes, about half the time, I like the ink print better. About a quarter of the time I like the silver print better. And about a quarter of the time it's a tossup. Five years ago, I would have found this impossible to imagine. But here i am saying it.

Your results could be different. This is in the context of one body of work, and my personal feelings about it. It still amazes me, because I was very proud of most of those silver prints.

I still have all my darkroom equipment. And I miss using it. But It's been a couple of years since I've actually been compelled to make a darkroom print. I don't feel like I've jumped ship, or become something else ... I've just expanded my toolbox to something that's working better for me right now.

As far as "show me the money" ... just like before, I'm consuming a whole lot more than I'm bringing in. That's not likely to change unless Jon Cone shows me how to print up some $50 bills.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Paul,

I see you just joined APUG.

Now the OP said:

Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    Paul sells silver gelatine prints up to 9 1/2 x 11 1/2. All
    sizes, $1200. Up from last years $1000. He prints on Forte
    Fortezo Grade three. Big news is his going digital. He claims
    he can no longer secure any of that paper. He has used
    it for many years.

So, there won't be any more silver gelatine from Paul.
    When they are gone they are gone. If you've been
    yearning for one of his on Forte prints now is the
    time to send in that $1200 bucks. Dan
    Yet subsequent posters said that in fact this paper continues to be available.

And you said:

Quote Originally Posted by paulr
    well, I actually am Paul, and that's not quite what I'm thinking.

I don't find buyers to be increasingly indiferent to print quality, although I do find them increasingly open minded about what kinds of prints they'll consider.

And while I would like to say my prints "command" $1200, at the rate that I sell work, it would be more accurate to say that they ask for it very, very quietly.

I also have yet to own a digital camera. I don't think they're evil, but at this point in history, for what I can afford, I get much better quality from film ... from a 4x5 and a (borrowed) hasselblad, both older than I am.

I made the investment in digital printing because i was working on an artist's book project, and it seemed like the ideal medium. This was right around the time that Forte became unavailable. I was uninterested seeking out and learning a new silver paper, since in all probability it would meet the same fate ... so I took the plunge and learned to print in ink.

What keeps me printing in ink, even though my silver paper is on the market again, is that I love the prints.

Because of the book project, I've had the opportunity to reprint an entire body of work that had previously been done in silver. To my tastes, about half the time, I like the ink print better. About a quarter of the time I like the silver print better. And about a quarter of the time it's a tossup. Five years ago, I would have found this impossible to imagine. But here i am saying it.

Your results could be different. This is in the context of one body of work, and my personal feelings about it. It still amazes me, because I was very proud of most of those silver prints.

I still have all my darkroom equipment. And I miss using it. But It's been a couple of years since I've actually been compelled to make a darkroom print. I don't feel like I've jumped ship, or become something else ... I've just expanded my toolbox to something that's working better for me right now.

As far as "show me the money" ... just like before, I'm consuming a whole lot more than I'm bringing in. That's not likely to change unless Jon Cone shows me how to print up some $50 bills.
    In that I read that while you now admit that this paper is available - you have come to prefer inkjet printing for its artistic capabiities over silver.

Seems as if this is a strange web site to advance that theory.

You said you haven't been in the darkroom for two years.
    Though, if fact, though you still use that dear old Hassey, silver printing just doesn't cut it any more (at least not 75% of the time). Oh, and it also means your work throughput is now much faster - right?

Oh, and yes, you note that buyers have become more receptive of inkjet prints (perhaps, because they are less astute?).

But this all rings false, somehow.

Like maybe the OP was a "shill" and figured folks here would rush for the last chance to get a "real" Paul R.?

Paul, I live in NYC - want to buy a bridge to Brooklyn?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Paul,

I'm glad you're happy. There's room in the pool for everyone

Murray

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin