Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,787   Online: 831

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What does this have to do with Al Qaeda?????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Digital nature shots all look the same to me. They appear unnaturally compressed and flat, overly sharp, usually over staurated. Something just isn't right as if they are images photographed off of a computer screen..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Its his photographs, his work, and his choice. Far be it from me to critique a photographer who is successful and has produced what is in my mind a great body of work. Im sure he made the switch after careful thought. I do not beliebe his work will suddenly decline due to his new choice of tools.
    Last edited by michaelsalomon; 09-11-2006 at 05:47 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: submitted before i was done

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm not sure what the point of this thread is except to depress me on a friggin' depressing day?

I do not care what this guy chooses to shoot. He seems to be "important" in his field and has a "following". So, for crying out loud, if I were a digicamera maker I'd GIVE him my finest gear in order to get a product endorsement that I can put in all the magazines!

I am tired of these kinds of threads. They are unhealthy to all of us here.

Digital cameras are the gear of choice for most commercial pros - that's it - said and done. I don't see how a "roll call" of those of them leaving the "film fold" matters anymore. They're gone, hasta la vista.

It's kind of "same old, same old", "been there, heard it all before."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The two photographers using Hasselblads (mostly) and shooting wildlife portrait style are David Littschwager and Susan Middleton. Interestingly both met while assisting Richard Avedon. There is a great article and some images in the August 2006 PDN (Photo District News). Nice work.

I have seen some large Franz Lanting prints recently at the Ordover Gallery in the Museum of Natural History in San Diego. I think these were his older film sourced images. I don't honeslty see what switching would do for him, other than maybe getting him some endorsements, or maybe if he wants to go into selling workshops. Maybe that is economics over ethics.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    "...with holes hanging like the gut of someone who thinks that al-Qaeda is 1/10 the stated number and is over played in the media and upon..."

Curt
    Bizarre...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I went to the state fair yesterday with my son and at the "Old Time" photo boot was an old Kodak 2D 8x10 camera with an old ratty bellows with holes hanging like the gut of someone who thinks that al-Qaeda is 1/10 the stated number and is over played in the media and upon closer inspectin found that a digital camera had been fitted behind the lens board. I took a look at the back and saw a moving picture on the ground glass. The old time photo, dress up, is done with digital and a printer. Only one ink needed; brown. I can't blame them but what a sad death for a fine camera.

Curt
    i've read and re-read this post but I still can't figure it out... what the hell are you saying man?!?!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I went to the state fair yesterday with my son and at the "Old Time" photo boot was an old Kodak 2D 8x10 camera with an old ratty bellows with holes hanging like the gut of someone who thinks that al-Qaeda is 1/10 the stated number and is over played in the media and upon closer inspectin found that a digital camera had been fitted behind the lens board. I took a look at the back and saw a moving picture on the ground glass. The old time photo, dress up, is done with digital and a printer. Only one ink needed; brown. I can't blame them but what a sad death for a fine camera.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by rjas
    i've read and re-read this post but I still can't figure it out... what the hell are you saying man?!?!
    I too have read and re-read it. I think you have to parse through the Al-Queda reference.

I think what he is saying is that at the fair there was a photo booth set up with an old Kodak 2D camera. It was only a prop, as evidenced by the fact that the bellows were sagging and full of holes. And actually, the photog is using a digicam.

The A-Q point comes in simply in reference to the similarity this camera had to a braggadocio, saggy, full of holes in his T-shirt, beer bellied guy at a bar spouting about how there's "not more than 1/10th of those b-tards as we're led to believe." The point being, this bar fly has no idea what he is talking about anymore than the ersatz camera is "real".

At least this is the best I can come up with - sometimes the brain runs ahead of the finger on the keyboard and the idea never get fully across.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjas
    In the original post, if you ignore the part where he says "hanging like the gut of someone who thinks that al-Qaeda is 1/10 the stated number and is over played in the media", it makes sense. It could be that replies to two posts got mixed up!
    Last edited by Sanjay Sen; 09-11-2006 at 11:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Re-phrased

Shooter
    Large Format
    The problem I have with digital & nature photography is same as for photojournalism - a loss of trust in the truthfulness of the image. If you're photographing lions & tigers & bears, you want the viewer to believe that the images are real rather than shot in Wonderland (or Smithsonian).
    Last edited by doughowk; 09-12-2006 at 06:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin