Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,786   Online: 1107

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven
    I have seen some large Franz Lanting prints recently at the Ordover Gallery in the Museum of Natural History in San Diego. I think these were his older film sourced images. I don't honeslty see what switching would do for him, other than maybe getting him some endorsements, or maybe if he wants to go into selling workshops. Maybe that is economics over ethics.

You really think that he'd switch over from a manner in which he has worked for decades, potentially compromising the quality of his work for which he has received acknowledgement and rewards, if the switch to digital is not actually advantageous to his image making? Risk his work, his legacy, for an endorsement? This is like conspiracy theorists. Oh he can't possibly be using digital because it works better for him, he must be using it because he's been bribed/corrupted/lazy to use it!!

I can tell you from personal experience as I have done endorsements for products I use and have turned down endorsements for products I don't use, that the last thing I would do is use a product for my photography that didn't work for me just because I might get some money to use it.

The guy is a world class photographer who's career many here would envy and he's made a choice about his working materials. Why is this such a big deal. Just wish him luck and continued success and get over it.

Shooter
    Multi Format

A-Q and beer...?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    ... hanging like the gut of someone who thinks that al-Qaeda is 1/10 the stated number and is over played in the media and upon closer inspectin ...

Curt
    ??? Non sequitir...?
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Look, just drive over to Calypso (in Santa Clara or wait a couple of weeks until they're finished moving to Santa Cruz) and LOOK AT HIS PRINTS because Calypso makes those big prints for him and there are usually some in the lobby. Usually prints from other well-known shooters (film & d) as well.

And they are terrific prints.

And the film prints are also made digitally.

And both types hang side by side at the Lanting Gallery there in Santa Cruz too.

And they look great.

Is the "disappointment" in that Lanting doesn't choose to do what he does based on your own desire about PROCESS, which should almost never be a consideration when looking at someone else's work? (with the occasional niche exceptions like dag's and sx-70 or platinum printing) Is it productive? Can it be channeled into some way of making your own new work?

kb

I know I've said it many before, but there's a difference between loving analog and its processes and hating digital. Those are two completely separate things. One impulse is about making, one is about destroying. Why waste your heartbeats on resentment?

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

I agree.

People still laugh at my Mona Lisa that's done in watercolor. Leonardo was just as good in watercolor as we was in oils.

And I paid about $5000 less for it too.

So there.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Who is this guy? I never heard of him until now. Goes to show what a little controversy can do for pr.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    Is the "disappointment" in that Lanting doesn't choose to do what he does based on your own desire about PROCESS, which should almost never be a consideration when looking at someone else's work? (with the occasional niche exceptions like dag's and sx-70 or platinum printing) Is it productive? Can it be channeled into some way of making your own new work?

kb

I know I've said it many before, but there's a difference between loving analog and its processes and hating digital. Those are two completely separate things. One impulse is about making, one is about destroying. Why waste your heartbeats on resentment?
    I thing the disappointment is just seeing another well know film photographer going digital. Especially, someone as influential as Frantz Lanting. FWIW, it doesn't bother me; I'm surprised he didn't go years ago. What would be telling, IMO, would be to find out what he shoots for his personal work - a lot of people here shoot digital for work, but film for personal work.

I agree with you about being resentful, although I do understand it in some respects. For example, Fuji introduces this nice new film, Provia 400X, expected to start selling in September, but hasn't because the existing stocks of 400F haven't been sold (good business really), and they haven't sold, because film sales are still falling (especially for 35mm film). It is disappointing to see a new film announced, only to wait and wait for it to appear on the shelves.

Personally, I don't like digital, I don't think digital is as sharp as film or has the color depth that film has. But, I wonder how long I can continue to shoot film in 35mm, and I wonder if I will eventually be forced to go to digital (for small camera work) when it no longer becomes possible to get 35mm transparency film
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RAP
    Who is this guy? I never heard of him until now. Goes to show what a little controversy can do for pr.

actually, the only controversy about this exists in this thread... so i don't think it's had any impact on his PR at all.

If you've been in any bookstore with a photography section, or you've read much of National Geographic, you'll have seen his work. a quick google on his name will bring up a lot more. in short, he's probably one of (if not the) best wildlife photographers out there.

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jim,

I had already googled his name before I posted, but thanks just the same.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good afternoon Early Riser,

Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser
    You really think that he'd switch over from a manner in which he has worked for decades, potentially compromising the quality of his work for which he has received acknowledgement and rewards, if the switch to digital is not actually advantageous to his image making? Risk his work, his legacy, for an endorsement? This is like conspiracy theorists. Oh he can't possibly be using digital because it works better for him, he must be using it because he's been bribed/corrupted/lazy to use it!!

Yes to all your questions above. Is that surprising? I have met enough other fine art photographers that did the exact same thing I spoke about, so no conspiracy theory. Most of those that took on equipment or work methods for endorsements or gear still evaluated that gear. The risk was in each case something each one of them likely considered small, otherwise I doubt there would have been a change. Perhaps calculated risk would be better terminology? Many of those making the change over feel it allows for many improvements in their workflows or sales abilities.

If ColorSpan gave me full free use of their latest giant printer for my images, you bet your a** I would sign up to do endorsements. This is a business decision that has little room for emotions. There would be no bribing, because I have already seen the capabilities and decided there is nearly no quality risk for me. Anyway, this is just an example. I don't think I would be selling out nor do I think Franz Lanting sold out . . . . . if you got that from my post, then I apologize profusely for the misinterpretation.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with finding an advantage in anything. If he suddenly figured out that wearing Burkenstocks or Rockports allowed him to capture more images, then I am not the person to refute his choices. If Canon came to him and wanted to sign him up under their Explorers of Light Program, then the following year Nikon wanted him on their endorsement program for advertising, why wouldn't he take the opportunity?

I can tell you from personal experience as I have done endorsements for products I use and have turned down endorsements for products I don't use, that the last thing I would do is use a product for my photography that didn't work for me just because I might get some money to use it.
    Sure, but you still try it out. If it works, then great. When it doesn't work, then that could reflect badly upon your images, then those that were buying your images, or hiring you, would notice. Turning things down when they do not help you is a good business decision.

I never meant what I wrote to be an all or nothing 100% choice. Some flexibility is required in anything, even whether or not someone continues using gear that may have been loaned for evaluation. There are quite likely some cameras and gear out there that no amount of money could convince some photographers to adopt . . . the gear still needs to fit with how each photographer wants to capture or print their images.

The guy is a world class photographer who's career many here would envy and he's made a choice about his working materials. Why is this such a big deal. Just wish him luck and continued success and get over it.
    I wish him no ill will nor am I envious of him. I have no desire to be the next Franz Lanting; quite simply I just want to be the best Gordon Moat I can become. Further, I have nothing to get over with any of this; we are in a discussion in a forum in which people write their opinions, so I wrote mine. I can be wrong, and I will admit when I am wrong, but without hearing it from Franz Lanting in person I can only make statements what I have seen numerous times from many other fine art photographers.

It is not a big deal except that this is APUG, so when non-traditional printing comes forward with any implied concept of it being better, whether or not it really is better, then you can expect some discussion. Recall that better will always be subjective; the things I find best are probably quite different than what you or Franz Lanting consider best.

I don't think Franz Lanting needs me to wish him luck, since he looks to be doing quite well, but I will wish him all the best in his future in photography. I also wish you and your life in photography become all that you hope to achieve in the future. I don't know you nor your work, but I sincerely hope you accomplish your goals. Best of luck, and stay an active photographer. if I have offended you in any way, please understand that I have a right to express my opinion, and I mean no ill nor harm to anyone, and I apologize if you took offense to anything I have written.

Thank you,

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's dissapointing.
    Now I would like to see some high profile digital shooters switch over to film.
    Film's not dead, it's just got a negative image.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin