Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,542   Online: 1024

Shooter
    Multi Format

Tim Hursley New Orleans ULF

Last month's (August '06) issue of Smithsonian magazine featured a pinhole photograph of post-Katrina New Orleans by Tim Hursley. The photograph is in color. An inset photograph shows Hursley standing by what looks to be an 8x20 Korona. I wonder what film he used... (color in 8x20??) The image is very effective. Unfortunately there was only one image; I would love to see more.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw that myself--I wasn't impressed by the image but more the camera--I just didn't care for the image in color----kinda like an enlargement of a very soft image--I'd have preferred B&W----actually i'd have preferred a banquet camera using a lens and film !
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd have preferred B&W
    I'd have preferred a photographer from the area who knew what to actually shoot. It gets old seeing these 'fly ins' from all over the world attempting to tell a story from the perspective of a spectator (which most are). Too bad they didn't use one of Sam's images. He lived it. Their loss!!!

More than my .02 cents worth.

Edited to say...PLEASE don't take this as an attack on the initial post/post-er or the respone above. Just more of a 'comment' for the editors who aren't capitalizing on the resources that were already there in Louisiana (and could sure use the job/income!!!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, fair enough. I must admit I was more interested in the fact that ULF was getting some coverage in the nearly-mainstream press. I debated putting this in the ULF forum for that reason. I agree that a home team photographer holds a certain legitimacy that an import cannot. However, who am I to question anyone's vision, be they native or not? I don't mean to be insensitive to either camp. In my defense, I claim both Katrina-fatigue and 9/11-fatigue thanks mostly to the Warholian repetition of images and stories from both in the news media.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I claim both Katrina-fatigue and 9/11-fatigue
    Also known as "Katrina'd out!!"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I´m just glad I was able to pass the 9-11 anniversary with minimal reminders. Don´t need more- I lived it at the Pentagon that day. Even down here in Argentina, I had to keep the TV news off as the BBC World service had transformed itself into an All- 9/11, All The Time channel, and Argentine news was not much better.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin