Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,954   Online: 881

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Arnold Sadow - anyone know him? Need info for collection

Hey all,

The rare bookshop I work for has a collection of about 25-30 gelatin silver prints, all about 8 x 10 or smaller, by a photographer named Arnold Sadow. I think he lived in New York (Queens?) during the 40's - 50's; from the web we found a few architectural history images held by the NYPL, and some hints that he may have attended Boston Latin and graduated with the class of 35, and wrote a book called Book Copying Machines; A Description and Evaluation. He did have a photo published in Good Photography magazine in 1949.

The prints were bought from a relative of his in Massachusetts. Sadow lived in Brockton, Mass. He also dealt in photography books. Does anyone know of him or have any biographical details to share? We'd like to put together an essay about him. His work echoes the masters, and is overall his own and really wonderful. To see a preliminary webpage, please visit the Arnold Sadow Collection.

Any news greatly appreciated! We love his work and would like to see it find a home where it will be seen and appreciated. Some great New York images.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You might want to ask on the PhotoHistory Yahoo! group if you don't get anything here. There is regularly at least on person in that group who knows something of even the most obscure photographers. Since you're talking New York, I would bet that you'll find multiple people who can provide information on this person.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67 View Post
    You might want to ask on the PhotoHistory Yahoo! group if you don't get anything here.
    - Randy
    Randy - I took your advice and got some great data from PhotoHistory folks on Yahoo. Sadow was in a MOMA exhibit in 1950 called "51 American Photographers" (curated by Dee Knapp). His vital stats: b. 1918, d. 1994.
    Thanks for the suggestion!
    Dana

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Glad I could help! Those guys (and gals) are a fantastic source of info.

- Randy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin