Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,756   Online: 1064

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath
    good points George,

as for 1) - the clouds are not clouds but are in fact swirls of white water as this image was taken in the surf as the swimmers dove under the wave

as for digital/traditional - there is indeed much controversy here in regards to the satanic practice of digital manipulation and imaging. Though I'm not wanting to re-ignite the debate, I think all image makers must find their own level of what is acceptable to themselves and thier audience. Obviously, the audience/members on this site don't want digital. But that doesn't mean digital has no place in high quality/fine art/expressive/creative photography.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan
    George,
    I have seen Trent's prints in galleries on many occasions and that is his printing style. I mentioned this in my original post and made reference to his "style" which is usually a "Grade 4+" aesthetic. Last time I heard him speak both he and Narelle were still shooting film and using Leica rangefinders. Does this help make it more authentic!!
    Ray/Tony,

Thanks for taking the time to consider my query and answer thoughtfully.

Ray, with your explanation, now it does make a lot more sense (see what I mean about iterations of images!). I now see the "clouds" can indeed be surf. Bit of "my bad" for assuming it was a "pool" shot rather than an "ocean" one. Still trying to understand the "shadowed kid" but I'm no expert at printing - that's for sure.

Tony, thanks for adding the info on the gear.

This all said, I agree with the "onimous" observations - is there "Great White" in the background that we don't see?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George,
    The reason for posting this particular image was the mystery and its understandable it might challenge a sceptical viewer.

Reason for the shadows is the light source is above and behind the front swimmer and Trent would be positioned beyond the breaker in the "heavy" part of the wave so very little light would be reflecting back. I suspect apart from the usual hard contrast he may also have done some burning to get rid of any trace of detail.

I must say as someone who has spent most of their time searching for the long "fine art" tonal range in a black and white print, looking at his work can be jarring to the senses - and I think that may just be the point!

Ray, yes the ACP show was great and I attended a talk they gave during that exhibition at the Paddington RSL. Did you go? Narelle told a great story about leaving the Leica hanging over the bullbar of the 4WD and discovering it unharmed when that stopped driving a few hours later - (but we don't need to give the Leica lovers any more reasons to gloat!)

Cheers, Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for posting the link Tony!

I agree that Trent's images are very contrasy but that's what makes them so unique.
    I really enjoyed seeing his work. I don't think I've ever come across the same kind of images which is so refreshing. I look at alot of B&W photographs because I love the medium and it's great to see work that is so different.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I like contrasty work anyway, so I really like this.

I'm not familiar with his work already, (and good to see an Aussie) so thanks very much for posting.

Cate

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi Tony,

Stunning picture ! Tremendous sense of movement, I could just sit watching it for ages. It is rare to see something as distinctive and fresh in style.....

Regards, John.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan
    Ray, yes the ACP show was great and I attended a talk they gave during that exhibition at the Paddington RSL. Did you go? Narelle told a great story about leaving the Leica hanging over the bullbar of the 4WD and discovering it unharmed when that stopped driving a few hours later - (but we don't need to give the Leica lovers any more reasons to gloat!)
    Cheers, Tony
    I was at the same event Tony and I thoroughly enjoyed their informal chat with us all.

The first time I came across Trent's work was his book "Dream Life" shot all around Sydney streets. Superb work I thought.

There's also a book full of Narelle's shots of people underwater, much like the one above. Might have been called the "Seventh Wave" from memory. Also very interesting work.

And for Copake_ham, there was a delightful image shown at the event Tony & I attended where Trente was hanging multiple films up in a tree by the beach with clothes pegs. He said that night that he *must* see his shots as he works to know if it's working for him, so he took a dev tank all round Australia wih him and would dev his rolls in any location he could, sometime to the amusement of locals. "What sort of drink are you mixing mate?" was one comment he got. I guess he has the stainless steel tank that looks like a cocktail shaker?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin