Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,777   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Discuss a Trent Parke photograph

Trent Parke is a contemporary photographer and the only Australian to have been admitted to the Magnum agency. I read in the paper this morning that he has just won another award so I thought I would post an image for discussion. I have heard him talk about wanting to create a distinctly Australian body of work and he spends a lot of time travelling around the country documenting people and events with his partner Narelle Autio, another very fine photographer. He has recently started to work in colour and brings his high contrast (+high saturation) printing style to that medium. I would describe his print aesthetic as somewhat "anti-fine art" which makes it distinctive and a signature style if you like. More images here if you would like to have a look:
    http://www.stillsgallery.com.au/arti...eries_04&nav=4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trent Parke from seventh wave.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day Tony, Parke and Autio have a great body of work already

this from a series, each image of which can stand on it's own

this image reminds me of summer, the beach, childhood, though it's dark and gloomy i see it as light, airy and full of life

i saw their round Australia work at ACP last year, simply brilliant, especially the wide angle view on the beach in WA at sunset with the people and the pavillion

It's interesting work.

It has an ominous feel to it.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sorry, but I have to ask this.

Is this PS'd?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    Sorry, but I have to ask this.

Is this PS'd?
    probably not, knowing the other work of this artist, but why do you 'have to' ask

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This image makes me think of kids having a great time in the pool. It is a little dark but so is underwater. I looked at all his work on the site you gave and really liked it, very different. I don't think it is ps'd since he offers Silver gelatin prints.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath
    probably not, knowing the other work of this artist, but why do you 'have to' ask
    Two reasons bring the query to mind:

1) The photog seems to be shooting underwater, yet there is no "surface" or the "surface" consists of dark clouds w/o any breakline for the water surface.

2) The sillhouetted child in particular seems to have been "cut and pasted" in. And some of the other figures too.

Remember, all I am seeing is a digital representation on the internet of a scan (perhaps several iterations later) of the original print.

I "had" to ask because there seems to be real controversy here about being what I call a "hybrid" photog versus a "traditional" one.

I scan my photogs, and have used PS to crop, and at times adjust highlights and contrast. So I'm a "hybrid". But I've never used PS to "manipulate" images (although I did take a class to learn how it's done).

So, I had to ask, since there does seem to be the possibility of PS manipulation in this image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    good points George,

as for 1) - the clouds are not clouds but are in fact swirls of white water as this image was taken in the surf as the swimmers dove under the wave

as for digital/traditional - there is indeed much controversy here in regards to the satanic practice of digital manipulation and imaging. Though I'm not wanting to re-ignite the debate, I think all image makers must find their own level of what is acceptable to themselves and thier audience. Obviously, the audience/members on this site don't want digital. But that doesn't mean digital has no place in high quality/fine art/expressive/creative photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George,
    I have seen Trent's prints in galleries on many occasions and that is his printing style. I mentioned this in my original post and made reference to his "style" which is usually a "Grade 4+" aesthetic. Last time I heard him speak both he and Narelle were still shooting film and using Leica rangefinders. Does this help make it more authentic!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    this photograph is like a dream.
    floating bodies in water.
    darkness and light.
    clouds that are there but there are none.

while i know these are taken below-surface
    they have a surreal quality that is beautiful.

thanks for posting the link to his other work!

-john
    ask me how ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin