Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,663   Online: 820

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    Yikes, Nicole Kidman... I don't like to put down another Aussie but I think she is a B grade actress at best. I think I'll give it a miss...

And what about her judgement... Tom Cruise and then a guy who has to go into major rehab a few months after here comes the bride....
    As to Nicole's taste in men well... when they first married, Tom Cruise wasn't the Scientology whack-job he has become since. Her second husband can be excused as an affaire d' coeur that blinded her to reality. Judge not lest ye be judged. I'm sure we've all had our romantic mistakes. And besides, in the end, who are we to say what makes someone else happy? look at Lytton Strachey and Dora Carrington - a mismatched pair if there ever was one, but they made each other happy in their way. Or Spencer Tracy and Kate Hepburn.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Judge not lest ye be judged
    Ditto!

If we had to put our life story on each image we displayed or sold...what would others think? Food for thought.

Edited to say:

I started the thread to see if others had an interest in the movie itself as I did. If I distanced myself from the actors/actresses and musicians whose talents and morals I questioned (appearances too!), I'd definitely be missing out on alot of artistic talent. Chacun pour soi.

It should be an interesting movie (I think). We shall see!!!
    Last edited by Dorothy Blum Cooper; 11-01-2006 at 07:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not judging Nicole Kidman's choice in men, nor do I think she's a bad actress. I'm just not sure she's quite right for this part. My opinion is really based solely on her looks.. somehow too tall, too cute to pull off that intense gaze of Diane Arbus. Well, I still plan to see it, after all, she did win an oscar for portraying Virginia Woolf, I suppose, she may surprise us!

If not, at least, as other's have mentioned, we'll see come cool cameras!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Revy View Post
    I'm not judging Nicole Kidman's choice in men, nor do I think she's a bad actress. I'm just not sure she's quite right for this part. My opinion is really based solely on her looks.. somehow too tall, too cute to pull off that intense gaze of Diane Arbus. Well, I still plan to see it, after all, she did win an oscar for portraying Virginia Woolf, I suppose, she may surprise us!

She was very good as Virginia Woolf, even though she is really too pretty to be Woolf, and I thought I wouldn't like her in it. Agree I can't quite see her as Arbus, but we'll see, maybe I'll prove myself wrong again. Can't wait to see it now - thanks Dorothy for bringing it to the forefront of our attention! Pity we can't all see it together
    Cate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Revy View Post

I like your original thought of having Natalie Portman play the role. She's got that wide-eyed-innocent worldliness about her that I think would suit the part well. But they didn't ask us, now did they?! Regardless, I think it will be an interesting movie and I'm looking forward to seeing it.
    Last edited by Digidurst; 11-01-2006 at 05:06 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: I can't type nor can I spell :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Judge not lest ye be judged.
    Fair cop! I am suitably chastised for lapsing into a tacky tabloid moment there and getting off topic. It was tongue-in-cheek and I blame the nightly news 10-minute test we play at home. What are the stories that make the first 10 minutes of network nightly news? What does it say about what we think is important? The Keith Urban rehab story came in about 3 minutes past the hour the day it broke! Anyway, enough of that...

Interestingly, I remember exactly where I was when I finished reading the Bosworth book way back in 1984. I won't bore you with the details but I was in tears for quite a while after finishing it. Eternal damnation may be awaiting me for some of the reasons behind those tears at that time. I just hope "Our Nic" got some strong direction and the audience isn't reduced to tears for the wrong reasons!

Shooter
    Medium Format

My favorite part....

It's 1958. Allan has just developed Diane's first rolls from her Rollei. The film is hanging to dry and Allan is inspecting them. He looks bewildered, confused... he can't believe his eyes... what is this??? ... the edge markings say "400TX"!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having read two books this year on Diane Arbus, I intend to see the movie.

I also thought the choice of Nicole as Diane, was interesting, to say the least. In fact, my first thought, was that her sister, Antonia, would have been a much better choice, as far as looks goes. She is a natural light brunette, as opposed to her light redheaded sister.

Antonia is also quite an accomplished actress, television presenter etc, in her own right, in this country.

Mick.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I should have posted this here earlier. I did make it to see the film, and I thought it was very well done overall, but it still leaves a lot about Diane and her thinking and motivation for her images a mystery. Robert Downey Jr. steals the picture from Nicole Kidman, I think.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It came and went so fast that the local "Art" movie house posted a count down in its ads. I never got to see it. I'll wait for the DVD and see it then, I guess. One thing?
    Whats with the title and was Nicole covered in "Fur" in the preview?
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin