Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,723   Online: 1155

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster6X6 View Post
    I got my copy 3 weeks ago supposedly inscribed, it was not still waiting to be replaced with inscribed one. Bummer.
    One of the best books on B/W photography I have seen.
    In line with Lodima Press books.

Greg
    Greg,

Thanks for your kind words about Recollections... most kind of you.

I am a bit perplexed by your comment
    I got my copy 3 weeks ago supposedly inscribed, it was not still waiting to be replaced with inscribed one. Bummer
    Did you order something, and not receive what you expected? I am confused and concerned.

John

Shooter
    Large Format

THANK YOU

Thanks to all of you that have posted kind words about Recollections. Your comments have made my day!

All the best,

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi John
    Thanks for responding. I have read one of the threads on this forum before Christmas. I liked what I was seeing and the comments from people that bought the book. I went to Photo-eye site and clicked on inscribed copy which they said was in stock. Ten days later when I received your book I looked all over no signature anywhere( Photoeye must have overlooked it was ordered with signiture). I contacted David from Photoeye he said they don't have any signed copies enymore. So I have to wait. It has nothing to do with you or your book. I should have ordered directly from your site. Live and learn.

Thanks for producing such a wonderful book.

Cheers Greg
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster6X6 View Post
    Hi John
    Thanks for responding. I have read one of the threads on this forum before Christmas. I liked what I was seeing and the comments from people that bought the book. I went to Photo-eye site and clicked on inscribed copy which they said was in stock. Ten days later when I received your book I looked all over no signature anywhere( Photoeye must have overlooked it was ordered with signiture). I contacted David from Photoeye he said they don't have any signed copies enymore. So I have to wait. It has nothing to do with you or your book. I should have ordered directly from your site. Live and learn.

Thanks for producing such a wonderful book.

Cheers Greg
    Greg,

I will contact you via email to discuss this with you.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    John,

I have your special edition print/book on order and cannot wait to recieve it. I was suprised to find that nearly all of the four images are sold out! That is fantastic!

I'm assuming it will be close to a year before the print arrives, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

All the best,

Ryan McIntosh
    Ryan McIntosh Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Beautiful book John. My first one of yours I have ever owned. Just bought it too fast to get in on your signatured edition .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John:

This last week I purchased (in a Restoration Hardware outlet store, of all places) a copy of your book "Vestiges of Grandeur". It has been a wonderful experience working my way through it - reading and enjoying it from beginning to end, as suggested.

I'm definitely on the lookout for more.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It has been ages since I have been able to buy a photo-book of really fine reproductions featuring photographs actually, personally, and assuredly made by the person credited. I'm still stuck back in the Ansel Adams and Ed Weston milieu and need and want to move on to the best modern work but I am tormented by misgivings perhaps dangerous to expose in the good natured forums of APUG.

I thought of sending this screed as a Private Message to John Sexton but realised he might be too insanely busy to reassure a troubled skeptic.

Impertinent and possibly unworthy questions come to mind:

Are the images in Recollections reproductions of photographs? Does the answer to this question depend on a non-traditional understanding of what is meant by a photograph?

Assuming there are originals did John Sexton make the them in full, start to finish, by his own hand?

What are the originals made of? How big are they? Can they be seen? Can they be purchased? Do the reproductions in the book look like the originals or have they been optimised for the page as opposed to the gallery wall?

Are there any bits drawn in or modified with pencil, ink, ferricyanide, laser writer, PaintShop, whatever, that have no ancestry solely in photons?

Most folks who don't know anything about photography think everything is settled by a camera click and the rest is infinitely and easily reproducible by dutiful laboratories. The concept of a singular original work does not apply. I guess just about everyone in APUG who physically makes fine photographs clearly knows the opposite. Excellent reproductions of photographs are the best practical alternative to originals and are worth treasuring in their own right.

A work like Recollections: Three Decades of Photographs promises much more than ooh! aah! pretty pictures. It could offer a showcase of top work by a top photographer, the ultimate of what the medium is capable, and a well-spring of inspiration to do better if not as good.

I earnestly hope this is the book I need, should want, and should buy.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Maris,

Assuming that you aren't simply trolling for flames there is indeed a
    simple answer.

Yes, John is the the one that pushed the shutter release, souped the
    film, made the print, finished the print, etc, etc.

His more than capable partner/assistant Anne probably had a hand in
    some of the processes - but it is all John's work.

This is, assuredly, the book you need.

Terry Hayden
    www.terryhayden.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got my signed book back . What a treat.
    Thanks John it is much appreciated.

Cheers Greg
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin